Dual Booting WXPx64edition and W2K woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kshroben

After running my compuer under Windows XP Professional x64 edition for a year, I decided to install Windows 2000 so I could play an old game or two that would not play under 64-bit. Now, I am not able to boot onto XP 64-bit edition. The name of the operating system does appear on the boot menu. But when I select it, Windows 2000 takes over and tells me that it cannot find the kernel.exe or that it is corrupt. Of course, I am able to boot perfectly onto Windows 2000 when selected from the menu.

Could someone tell me what to do next in order to be able to boot onto x64 again?

Thanks in advance for whatever feedback you can give me.

Did you try to repair your XP64? Boot from the install disk, follow the directions in the sticky at the top of this (windows os) forum.

It may be boot.ini file problem. When you install earlier version of Windows over next version you take chances to overwrite more smart system loader by less smart one. So view and config your boot.ini file that you can find in the root of system partition (it has to be the same in both system partitions for two OSes) if unhide system files and folders in IE menu - tools - IE options - Advanced tab - multimedia section.
You can also use any third-party software to manage multiboot environment. Sometimes it can be more convenient.For example I use OS Selector in Disk Director.

boot.ini:

under operating system

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

smth like this...

The installation order for Windows operating systems is always the oldest first, because the old ones don't recognise the new ones.

Did you install Win2k to a different partition than where x64 is/was?

Dual booting woes resolved

Hi!
Thank you very much to all the people that replied to my post. I had tried fixing the boot.ini file already. The answer that really fixed the problem was the one posted by SNGX1275. I had not repaired my windows installation until he mentioned it. I am very grateful to you for the suggestion.

Regards,

kshroben.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back