Dual Booting XP and 98 after XP installed on 2 HDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
dual boting xp amd 98 aferter xp instod on 2 HD

I whont to dual buot wtith xp and 98 on to diffrent hd and have xp intaled allrey. i got xp instoled on my c: drave and 98 intoled on my E:. i have eadted boot.ini so that the apertating chese apper.
when i clik on the 98 for the oes to load but it doesn't load it'just resart the computer. so hoe do i get it to load to 98?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Your boot.ini is incorrect

Could you post the contents of your boot.ini? I believe that if you have an install of 98 on a second hard drive and you are getting to the choose OS menu that at least some of what you have done is right. Your boot.ini is most likely pointing to an invalid location. How did you get 98 installed? Hopefully it was on the same computer and you are not just bringing a 98 hard drive from another computer.

We also have a search feature on this site, dual booting has been discussed many times, including having the OSes on different hard drives and installing 98 after 2k/XP.
Here is a link you might want to read over: http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=823

Note: I have corrected the spelling in the title at least so it will show up when people search for "dual booting".
[size=1]P.S. - You didn't give a location on where you are from - so I dont' know if English is your primary language, but either way you need to work on your spelling - it took me about 3 times through before I fully understood. Your use of the words was more or less correct but the spelling made it almost unreadable. We realize this is an international forum and not everyone speaks fluent English as well as some of us on the board but the better the spelling is the easier it will be for us to read, and you will get a faster response.[/size]

more info

I uesd the same setem for both os's. I did them sepely. so all the dravers and every thing are set up for both of them. Here is my boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=11
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
E:\ - "windows 98"

Re: more info

Originally posted by shortwod
[boot loader]
timeout=11
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
E:\ - "windows 98"
If you typed this manually maybe you just had a typo but if you copied and pasted your last line should say:
E:\="Windows 98"

Check that to see if that is the problem.

P.S. Check your Private Messages.

more info

i ched wat i had and it's right. the os opens still come up but when i clik on the 98 it just restarts. do i to but same thing difint in to the boot.INI senc there on difernt hds?

What you could try doing is just do a reinstall of 98 from XP with both harddrives installed obviously. Here's what needs to be done:
Originally posted by Lokem here
If you already have Win2k installed and you want to install Win98, try running Win98 setup with an extra parameter:

setup /ntldr

That'll instruct the setup proggie to leave the MBR alone. It *should* also create an entry in the boot.ini file. As always, backup your stuff b4 doing this.
[size=1]If you didn't already know 2k and XP work the same for dual booting with win 98/me.[/size]

help

i whent and whent the steps on the last linke u pot up. i'm now at the point were u ues the repaer opone. i pike the drive i wont to repaer then it ask me for amiterater passwoad wich i craed but i for got it beaues i have it set to admatly login. So is there any whay that i can get in. or will i have to comply restole ?

lots of times if it automatically logs in for you unless you are using a tweak program it means your admin password is blank - meaning you dont have one. So when it asks just hit enter as if you have already typed it.
As far as I'm aware there is no simple way of dodgeing an admin password in an NT based OS. I'm sure it can be done, but thats beyond the scope of my knowledge. You could do a reinstall - just remember not to format the drive if you want to keep anythign thats on it.

password found

I unisatled the 98 os. thean i insaled xp on it. then i put than i put the drave that i had xp first as the slave. I boot yep the new xp and i whent thow winoes expoler and edited the boot.INI file so it was back to the aregl way.I ols found out how to get a password back. In xp there is a built in called Forgootten Password Wizard. i was able to ues it on my fisrt xp drir. so i was aple to put the hard diver the way her where. so i was apple to boot up my argenle drive. so i whent and refotted the drave that i jute put the xp on. than trid to install 98 uesing the

setup /ntldr

and it did not work. so now i still don't have the dule boot.

Shortwod, If you didn't read SNGX1275 first post, the one directly under your first post, I am going to put it here in bold for you. It was hard for me to even spot.

Note: I have corrected the spelling in the title at least so it will show up when people search for "dual booting".
P.S. - You didn't give a location on where you are from - so I dont' know if English is your primary language, but either way you need to work on your spelling - it took me about 3 times through before I fully understood. Your use of the words was more or less correct but the spelling made it almost unreadable. We realize this is an international forum and not everyone speaks fluent English as well as some of us on the board but the better the spelling is the easier it will be for us to read, and you will get a faster response.

I agree with SNG, it took me quite awhile to understand what you where trying to say. Anyway, please enjoy your stay. If you don't speak fluent english we understand. If you do, please post in english, not jiberish.... ;)

dual booting, is it the right choice?

I am trying to determine if dual booting my system is the right choice for my situation. I hope maybe someone here can give me some pointers.

My computer at work was damaged in a flood a year ago and had to be replaced. I bought a new hp pavilion 7936 with Windows XP. Everything rocked along just fine for 30 days when the word processor program just decided it didn't want to run anymore. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it about 10 different times.

I am not a novice when it comes to computers, but I was stumped. I just couldn't figure out why word perfect quit working. I wound up calling Corel, (or whoever it happens to be now days) and I was told that Word Perfect 8 will not run on XP, no ifs, ands, or buts. So, I formatted the hard drive, installed Windows 98 and Word Perfect works just fine, but by doing so, I have lost all the xp drivers, like sound, video, the cd burning software, etc. Right now, I have 16 whole colors I can view, wow....this is really driving me nuts.

The easy solution is to restore my system with the factory restore disks, upgrade word perfect and everything would be fine. This is not possible.

I work for a law firm and when we purchased WP8, we bought the "legal edition" containing some time saving legal tools we need for our pleadings that I cannot find elsewhere. WP8 was the final edition containing the legal plug-ins, so upgrading WP is out of the question.

That brings me back to the original question. If I were to restore my system to the factory settings, then installed Windows 98, would that kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak....would I still have the xp drivers but be able to run win98 programs that would not otherwise run on xp?

Here's another stumper.....if WP8 will not run on XP, why then am I not having a bit of trouble running it on my XP laptop at home?

I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give me. Thank you

Shelly

Everything rocked along just fine for 30 days when the word processor program just decided it didn't want to run anymore

.. "Anymore"? That means it worked at one time, correct? If this is so, then it obviously run on Windows XP and you were given incorrect information from Corel. They probably don't support the software on XP, but it runs.

What you had was probably a problem with the Corel software. The best thing to do in these situations is uninstall and reinstall the program.

I would also look for another alternative to WP8 that supports the features you need.

I say this because there WILL be a day when that software is so antiquated it will not run on a modern computer or be usable at your business. It may be many years from now, but it doesn't hurt to shop ahead.

japanese and english operating system. dual boot?

Hello,

I am a new born forum participant. i hope a fondly thought of child.
I am living in japan and just purchased a dynabook tw/670ls. naturally it has a japanese operating system, and though i would like to maintain it(my wife is japanese) i struggle with all the kanji and would like to install a dual english operating system. is partitioning the hd and dual booting it the business? would microsoft be kind hearted enough to supply me with an english version of xp as i have a japanese version ?(perhaps a foolish question but worth a stab). how do i go about this migrain task?

if you can help me, a thousand cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back