TechSpot

Dual Booting

By kmackay1
Oct 2, 2002
  1. I am running XP home and Win 2000, when I shutdown from Win 2k the system (holding power button for 5 secs), the PC may immediately restart or it may restart by itself some time later, typically during the night unless we power down on the surge protector. How can I fix?:confused:

2. sicarius

sicarius TS Rookie Posts: 27

Make sure that all of the ways the machine can restart are set not to restart in the bios no matter what. This is kind of a common problem with 98 and MS even put a patch out for it. I have never heard of it in win2k. It usually restarts instantly on the ones I have worked on. I changed the power supply on a 98 machine once and it stopped it. He was working around the problem and when his ps went out and we replaced it it fixed it.

S>

3. kmackay1

kmackay1 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for input on dual boot

Decided to go single OS as the PC is now in child's room.

4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Seems like the simple solution, but if you are still wondering about how to solve your problem keep this question open so others can still reply. I personally have no answer for you, as of yet.

5. kmackay1

kmackay1 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Still looking for info on dual boot issue

I am still interested in knowing how to fix the issue. Thanks.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.