Dual Channel Memory Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm having trouble getting two 512mb memory sticks to work properly in dual channel mode on my computer. My system specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 (Latest bios drivers - F7)
nForce4 4x
AMD Athlon64 3500+ S939 2.2GHz
2x DDR 333mhz CL2.5 memory sticks (1 is branded RAmos, the other has no brand name)
ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB PCI-E

The problem I'm having is to do with getting dual channel mode to recognise 1GB of memory on my system, because at the moment it is only recognising 512MB of memory. My system only reads both memory sticks when they are working in single channel mode. I took the memory sticks to my computer parts supplier, he tested both sticks on his computer and had no problems. I'm not sure if he was running the memory in single or dual channel mode though. I've read the manual for my motherboard, I've read through different forums (including this one), and I've read the article explaining dual channel memory at this website: (www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/133/1. None of these helped with my problem. There is an interesting part in the article though, that discusses how instead of the chipset controlling dual channel mode, Athlon64 S939 cpus handle dual channel memory via an embbeded Dual Channel memory controller (Page 6).

Does anyone here have a solution to my problem?

I think I found my problem. I just checked the specifications for each of my memory sticks using cpu-z. I found out that both sticks are different, not only in brand, but also in specs. The RAmos is a 512mb PC2700 166mhz. The other memory stick, which is made by AM1 I think, is a 512mb PC3200 166mhz. That's probably why dual channel mode isn't working. I'm going back to test out some other memory at my supplier's store tomorrow. If none of the memory there works, I'll probably order in a new RAmos memory stick, since my RAmos memory stick (I found out a few days ago was bad RAM) is still under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back