Dual Channel Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to install another 1x2GB ram stick in my dual channel slot...will it run with a stick that is simply 667Mhz or i have to buy a new dual channel it...
i have 4 ram slots on my board (max-8Gb)....
plz help>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

System spec-
CPU - Intel C2D 2.20 GHz (E4500)
BOARD - Intel DG33FB
SMPS - Odyssey 450 watt
DRIVE - SONY Optiarc DVD RW AD-7190A
HDD - ST3802110A (80 GB) - 7200 rpm
Video - XFX 8600gt 512 MB: DDR3
RAM - Simmtronics DDR2-667 Mhz
-(PC-5300) Hyundai 2 GB DDR2-667 DDR2DRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)
(4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)

You simply have to put one stick in each channel of the board. I think Intel usually uses a blue socket for the primary in each channel. So, 1 DIMM in each blue socket and you're good to go, dual channel capable. You would only need to use the black sockets if you were installing 4 sticks of RAM.

Are you sure you don't mean 2 sticks X 1 GB each? You do need 2 identical sticks for true dual channel operation

You simply have to put one stick in each channel of the board. I think Intel usually uses a blue socket for the primary in each channel. So, 1 DIMM in each blue socket and you're good to go, dual channel capable. You would only need to use the black sockets if you were installing 4 sticks of RAM.

Are you sure you don't mean 2 sticks X 1 GB each? You do need 2 identical sticks for true dual channel operation
yes i,m sure . i want to install another 2gb ram stick in my blue slot...

but i have read somewhere that by installing diff. manufacturers ram stick in dual mode makes pc slower as there is clash in ram timings..

If you are trying to introduce a third RAM module to a system that has two modules already running in dual channel mode, it will essentially "break" or deactivate the dual channel mode.

Not sure if that's what you're getting at here, try and rework your questions with more detail.

Ride at Your Own Risk...

Dual channel operation can be obtained in an Intel board, even with different size RAM modules. There is one consideration, if you put a 1GB DIMM in one channel and a 2GB in the other, only 2GB of the total RAM (1GB from each channel) will be in two channel mode. The remaining 1GB in the 2GB module will run in single channel. Intel calls this "Dual Channel Interleaved " mode.

You can mismatch RAM sticks at you own risk. Sometimes it will work out just fine, as it is in the computer I'm using at the moment. It has different sizes, speeds, and brands of memory, yet it's still running in dual channel mode.

However, the overall speed of the memory will be that of the SLOWEST module. IE, if you have a 667Mhz and an 800Mhz, the memory will run @667Mhz..

Since we're talking big numbers, (4GB possibly) of installed RAM, keep in mind that only about 3GB will be usable if you have a 32 bit operating system. Some boards will boot in this configuration, some will not.

That should take care of the repost as well, should it be necessary.

You're trying to do something that will work sometimes, and sometimes won't. Keep that in mind.

Dual channel operation can be obtained in an Intel board, even with different size RAM modules. There is one consideration, if you put a 1GB DIMM in one channel and a 2GB in the other, only 2GB of the total RAM (1GB from each channel) will be in two channel mode. The remaining 1GB in the 2GB module will run in single channel. Intel calls this "Dual Channel Interleaved " mode.

You can mismatch RAM sticks at you own risk. Sometimes it will work out just fine, as it is in the computer I'm using at the moment. It has different sizes, speeds, and brands of memory, yet it's still running in dual channel mode.

However, the overall speed of the memory will be that of the SLOWEST module. IE, if you have a 667Mhz and an 800Mhz, the memory will run @667Mhz..

Since we're talking big numbers, (4GB possibly) of installed RAM, keep in mind that only about 3GB will be usable if you have a 32 bit operating system. Some boards will boot in this configuration, some will not.

That should take care of the repost as well, should it be necessary.

You're trying to do something that will work sometimes, and sometimes won't. Keep that in mind.

thanks for reply..
but will i be able to utilize my 4 gb ram in windows vista . presently i'm using xp 32 bit.

Dual channel usually requires matched ram sticks, though there are some exceptions. For best results use a twin pair.

Oh Dear.......

When I say that 2 different brands and speeds of memory will work together in dual channel, you may find that this is mostly true with generic RAM, which usually is manufactured to a set standard with respect to voltage and timings. The RAM you propose to use together does possess different timings.

"{(PC-5300) Hyundai 2 GB DDR2-667 DDR2DRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)
(4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)}"

Whether or not the latency value will change when the faster sticks are clocked down, I don't know. I suppose you won't know until you try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back