Dual Channel with 3 sticks of RAM...

By rapier8
Dec 15, 2005
  1. Is it possible for me to do it? I have 2 x 256MB and 1 512MB. My mobo has 3 ram slots, 2 green, and 1 purple. To do dual channel with two sticks, i put one in the purple and one in the green. Can i get 1024MB of dual channel by putting the 512 in the purple slot and the 2 256 in the green slot? I'd liek to use all of the ram modules.
  2. barney_3d

barney_3d TS Rookie Posts: 20

IIRC Dual means Two :suspiciou not three
  3. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Posts: 394

Just get one more 512 stick and you'll have 1.5GB of ram in dual channel.
  4. JimL

JimL TS Rookie

most dual channel mobo's will automatically go back down to single channel mode when 3 sticks of ram are inserted.
  5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

It depends on the motherboard. A nForce 2 based motherboard can run in dual channel with three memory modules. If we're talking about Athlon64s, they're either socket-754 (which doesn't have a dual channel memory controller in the first place) or socket-939 (which will switch to single channel with 3 memory modules).

On the Intel side, I believe it will revert to single channel mode aswell.

Basicly, anything other then a nForce 2 motherboard will revert to single channel.
  6. barney_3d

barney_3d TS Rookie Posts: 20

exactly dual channel only works in pairs
  7. Didou

Except on most nForce 2 motherboards.
  8. werty316

werty316 TS Rookie Posts: 185

Its recommend to use matched pairs as this won't have as many problems as whne you sue 2 different sticks of ram. Also some boards can't handle 4 sticks at 1T.
  9. rapier8

rapier8 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have an MSi K7N2 Delta-ILSR, it is an nforce2 motherboard. you say i can do it, how do i set it up?
  10. Didou

On nForce 2 boards, the first two DIMMs were considered to be channel #1 & the the third was channel #2. A performance tip for the best memory performance is to have the same amount of memory on both channels so that would mean putting the two 256mb modules on the DIMM 1 & 2 (channel #1) & the 512mb module on DIMM 3 (channel #2).
  11. rapier8

rapier8 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thx, i'll have to do this and let you know how it goes. I was going to try it this way anyway but i wanted to make sure i had something to go along with my speculation.
  12. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

I have an MSI K7N2 delta two platinum. I have 3 sticks of 512 crucial memory in banks 1, 2, and 3. It runs in dual channel DDR mode. Your board is set up exactly the same as mine.

RTFM - it will tell you. If you only have 2 sticks, then use banks 1 and 3.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.