TechSpot

Dual Core 2

By kevin1985
Mar 30, 2007
  1. I recently upgraded to the Dual Core 2 2.13Ghz processor. It seems to me it is running slow when I have a couple of things running. Example, if I am unzipping something and then try to do something else it seems sluggish to me. I have 2 gigs of 667mhz ram. I think that is good enough. I guess I am not blown away with this supposed great speed that comes with Dual core processors. Any advice as to what I could be missing.

2. Bluemouse

Bluemouse TS Rookie Posts: 195

what are the rest of your comp specs? mobo?

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

You need to check what processes and apps you have running. Resource-hogging AV software like Norton and McAfee slow down things considerably, as do viruses and trojans. Use AVG Free and anti-spyware like Ad-Aware & Spybot: Search & Destroy to keep ur PC free of these things. And if ur using Norton or McAfee, uninstall them and install the above apps instead (google for them).

4. kevin1985

kevin1985 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I do not use Norton or McAfee, I use AVG. I also check almost every other day for spyware using Ad-Aware & Spybot.

5. kevin1985

kevin1985 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Jetway 75GT1-LOGE LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
    GeForce 7950GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

6. Rayss523

Rayss523 TS Enthusiast Posts: 102

What HDs are you using?

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

You have to realize not many programs can take advantage of multi core processors.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.