Dual Core help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyber

hi guys i juts bought a centrino duo laptop... its at 1.6ghz... but it out performs my p4 2.66 (tho i have 2gb of ram on my laptop)... but i was wondering how does dual core works... i mean i know how it works but how do they determine the speed... mine is 1.6ghz ... so does that mean both of the cores run at 1.6ghz meaing a total of 3.2 or does one core run at 800mhz and a total of 1.6ghz for both...

thanks in advence
Cyber

It happens because Core Duos (the processor that Centrino Duo is based around) are much more efficient than P4s. Just like Core 2 Duos are much better than anything else, Core Duos are basically slightly slower Core 2s.

oh kk thanks for the reply MetalX

but i wanted to know how both of the cores work... does each run at 1.6 or at 800mhz...

thanks in advance
Cyber

yup. the idea is that you have a real processor and a virtual one working in the same time(or something like that),giving you the opportunity to work with more programs faster and far more efficient.However,don`t forget that system memory is way to important to be left behind,so a duo core + at least 1.5 gygs of ddr(at least 533 mhz) would keep you and your gaming urges satisfied. Oh,don`t forget a video card of at least 256 mb...and if possible,at least 256 bits :D

Dood said:
the idea is that you have a real processor and a virtual one working in the same time
That's HyperThreading, that's not a dual-core CPUs which has two physical CPUs in the same package.

Right. I was thinking about the intel 4 cores, 2 real and two virtual ones(the hot new stuff which they OC`ed at 5.2 Ghz!!!! -> each processor at 2.6) ,my bad. However,the idea is the same,Core Duo outperforms the other processors,period. You`ll definitely see it works faster than plain processors,but still,the biggest visible difference is not on a mobile technology,but on a desktop designed for gaming purposes,while listening to music,running full system scan and crap like that. Definitely the core duo is a good choice,(i have an Hp nx9420) but my Amd athlon 64 3000+ makes me happy also , and the 64 bit processor is outstanding on the win64 edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back