TechSpot

Dual Display

By PHATMAN5050
Mar 24, 2002
  1. If i installed a second video card on my computer, would i have dual display? Would i have it displaying on two monitors the same thing? or would they work together like when you have a dual display video card? I have a pci vid card so i think im going ot try and do this...i wonder what'll happen...im excited

2. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 645

alright, i put the other video card in, but when i plug my monitor into it it doesn't show anything, only on the card i had in there before. Is there any way for it to display on both?

3. PHATMAN5050

O my God! i got it to work...its pretty cool but my old monitor makes my new one have htis little line that goes down which is kinda hard to see but i notice it when i look real hard.

4. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

That gives you 2 choices:

1. Move the monitors further apart, as it is interference that is responsible for the line.

For more info about what is going on inside your CRT monitor, take a look here :)

2. Or just ignore it ;) :D

5. PHATMAN5050

there is another problem, for some reason i am unable to install the software that came with the second video card. It has a tv tuner on the card, and the software to watch the tv wont install. It says i have no hardware on my computer that the drivers can install to. Could it be because i have 2 ati cards and i already have the software from one of the cards instlled?

The two cards are
    1. ATI Radeon 64mb DDR
    2. ATI Rage 128 GL 16mb

I already have the software for the radeon installed, so should i try to uninstall it and then try and install the software for the rage?

6. MrGaribaldi

If you take a look here, you might find the info you need...

My guess is that your vid.card doesn't allow VGA-disable, as w2k needs... I'll see if I can find any more info on how to get it to work

As for the uninstall, I'd give it a try... Worst case senario, you'll have to uninstall the second card, then re-install it...

You might also try switching primary and secondary adaptor to see if that fixes the problem...

7. PHATMAN5050

yeah, i tried the primary and secondary adapter thing...there is a file that comes on ati cds calle atiinfo and when you open it it gives you all the information about your computer, video card type, audio card, ram, processor, motherboard, stuff like that, and it has the name of my video card in there...

8. MrGaribaldi

You might also take a look here... It's from ATI's tech support and covers problems using the video card whilst using multiple display adaptors...

9. MrGaribaldi

I think i found what you need...

Read this, and set the tv card as primary...

According to ATI you need to set your videocard to primary for it work:
    hope this helps :)

10. PHATMAN5050

ok, this is what i'm trying to do...

since the ati rage card has a tv tuner, i want to be able to use the tuner from that card and watch tv on my computer. The only problem is that the program used to watch the tv called 'tv' opens up 'video in' which is a program that was used with my radeon card since it has video in instead of a tv tuner. How can i watch tv on my computer now?

11. MrGaribaldi

If you're not using the video in, just disable it/uninstall the it...

I'll see if I can find any instructions on how to do that either later today, or sometime tomorrow... (I'm going on holiday in 3 hours, so I doub't I'll have the answer by that...)

12. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I had a lot of problems with Win-OS's with my video-in devices. I have a TV-tuner card, gfx card has video-in/out and a USB webcam which can be used as video-in device. I never got all three working together.

13. PHATMAN5050

i think i've made a breakthrough. A while back when i was using JUST the rage card, and i would open up the TV program an error message would come up saying that 'an error occurred because either the drivers are incorrect or you need to close any program using the video like dvd or webtv.' When i had this error i was running win2k and on the ati site they said to go and dl the direct x video capture software. That fixed my problem before, but when i downloaded the capture software this time, it said that i am not running win98, win98 se, win2k, or winme so the installation cannot continue.

14. Mictlantecuhtli

Try running it in compatibility mode.

15. PHATMAN5050

compatibility mode? i'm not familiar with this...

16. Mictlantecuhtli

The program is called apcompat.exe. You'll find it in Support Tools, installable from Win2k CD's \support\tools directory IIRC.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.