Dual Fermi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red1776

Seems the boys over at Hexus got a look at a planned or proposed dual Fermi card. its being called a dual GTX 470, however hexus, and others have determined to actually be a dual GTX 465.
small_galaxy1.jpg

This review then may be a an approximate preview into what level of performance that can be expected from the dual chip design.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-465-sli-review/

The card was shown without a heatsink which may be representative of the hurdle they face in cooling this thing. Zotac has a standard version of the GTX 470 that is a triple slot. It may be that the dual GPU version may need something like an aluminum Chrysler building to keep temperatures in check. If you read around various tech sites, it seems that a dual GTX 480 has been ruled out because cooling it is just side of impossible. ATI's HD 5970 is a HD 5850 X2 so it will be interesting to see what Galaxy comes up with performance and price wise.

Myself and supersmash were ruminating on the possibility over at https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic147836-2.html#post891229
In hindsight (mine's 20/20 !) probably Galaxy's idea of raising it's profile, much the same as their unreleased dual GTS250 and GTX480 + GT240. Full marks for ingenuity, but seeing in retail is believing.
I actually thought the GTX460 might be the better candidate. Bit-tech has a few details of the single GPU variety including a tentative 180w TDP - whether thats "real TDP" or "nVidia TDP" is anyones guess, but the power envelope is much closer to the PCI-E SIG of 300 watts.
BTW the card shown has GTX465 chips (GF100-030-A3) and 8 memory chips per die ( 8 x 128 for 1024Mb as per GTX 465)

I thought I'd see a dual 465 soonish. It wouldnt be too difficult to cool, although stock fans on all the recent dual gpus are pretty loud to say the least at anything above 60% speed.

You could well be proved right. If the vapor chamber cooling replacing the stock blower fan and can do the job -as seems possible if they can release a single slot GTX 470 then maybe a dualie GTX 465 isn't far off.

That card looks huge!

A water cooling setup would keep GTX480 temps in check though wouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back