TechSpot

Dual Gigabit Lan?

By whtddusy516
Nov 29, 2006
  1. So I just thought about this today. My DFI Lanparty UT Sli-D has the Dual Gigabit Lan feature. What exactly would you need two connections for on this type of a motherboard?

Also, would it matter which I use? I read they used two different chipsets (Vitesse VSC8201 Gigabit Phy and Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit PCI)

Aj

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You could share your internet connection or just connect to two different networks.. Or, have a dedicated storage/media network and a generic internet network.
    Most likely they just put two interfaces there because they can - silicon is cheap and people like to buy stuff with more "features" and bigger numbers on :)

You could benchmark both interfaces and see which one is faster/uses less CPU. I'd say your mileage depends on your OS, drivers and the peer device.

3. whtddusy516

whtddusy516 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 113

hmmm ok. Ok lets say this..

I have two computers, my mac [which has no access to my network] and then my pc [which will be using wifi]

Would i be able to access the network through my pc for my mac if i connected them through the thernet port? Or would it have to be a physical connection to the network [as in instead of wifi for the pc]

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Yes, it will work just fine. You can use either the ICS feature or plain bridging.

5. whtddusy516

whtddusy516 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 113

Mmk thanks!

Aj

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.