Dual-GPU AMD Radeon R9 295X2 details leak

Scorpus

Staff member

AMD's new dual-GPU card is expected to launch on April 8, but before the company can officially take the wraps off the graphics card, new details have leaked giving us a better idea of what to expect.

The graphics card itself will be known as the Radeon R9 295X2, and will come loaded with two Hawaii XT dies that were first seen in the Radeon R9 290X. Alongside the powerful GPUs, we can expect 8 GB of memory (4 GB per GPU), and a hybrid cooling solution that sees the Hawaii cores cooled with a closed-loop liquid cooler, and the other components cooled by air. The card's TDP will be somewhere around 500W.

dual-gpu amd radeon r9 295x2 amd radeon leak dual gpu radeon r9 series radeon r9 295x2 295x2

Designed for 4K Ultra HD resolutions and Eyefinity setups, the graphics card will reportedly feature five display outputs: four mini-DisplayPorts and one DVI-D port. After Nvidia announced the dual-GPU GeForce Titan Z with an astonishing price point of $3,000, AMD will be positioning their card as a more affordable, but still expensive alternative.

Some reviewers have reportedly received a large briefcase that contains the R9 295X2, pictured above, which we should be hearing more about in the next few days. It's rumored that this briefcase will be the graphics card's retail packaging.

AMD has been teasing the Radeon R9 295X2 over the past few weeks through the #2betterthan1 campaign, sending out "Top Secret" envelopes to the press and posting vague images of the card. It shouldn't be too long before we finally see the card officially unveiled.

Permalink to story.

Where is the red button? It's gotta have one!

I would market it with the following AD: "Don't be afraid of wetting your pants over this monster, he will dry them up while you're playing....

500W - holly $hit, your home heating is now obsolete...

One has to be nuts or obscenely rich to be paying the kind of money today for products that still do not have not only DisplayPort 1.3, but even no HDMI 2.0 on them.

HDMI 2.0 was released in 2013, and DisplayPort 1.3 is due to be released in Q2 2014. This should render those monsters obsolete within 3 month or so. Great investment, huh :)

Last edited:
I wanna see a comparison to this and the new titan even tho titan z will be roughly 20-30% better but still wanna see heat, noise, frames etc. I am prob gonna get the new titan tho when it comes out that is.

I wanna see a comparison to this and the new titan even tho titan z will be roughly 20-30% better

With so much difference in memory and efficiency of the dual GPU support, all bets are off. Although my money is also on nVidia performance. However, AMD's monster should be something entirely else when it comes to number crunching for encryption.

but still wanna see heat, noise, frames etc.

Just try to remember your worst nightmare... hurricane blows and shutters your window inwards, followed by a sun-ball demolishing your house, then come people to rescue you, finding your burnt carcass still sitting on the toilet, minding your own business...

Doesn't ring a bell? - try this:
I am prob gonna get the new titan tho when it comes out that is.

I'd like to be there to make wind into your sail, for the luck.

Last edited:
The card will cost in the region of $1000 if not more and the case probably about $50. In a few months time the case will have retained it's value and the card will be worth $100. In a years time the case will still have retained it's value but the card will be worth $50. I'll take the case.

I wanna see a comparison to this and the new titan even tho titan z will be roughly 20-30% better

With so much difference in memory and efficiency of the dual GPU support, all bets are off. Although my money is also on nVidia performance. However, AMD's monster should be something entirely else when it comes to number crunching for encryption.

Just try to remember your worst nightmare... hurricane blows and shutters your window inwards, followed by a sun-ball demolishing your house, then come people to rescue you, finding your burnt carcass still sitting on the toilet, minding your own business...

You make that joke, yet this is a closed water loop cooler card which obviously is going to be superior to any air cooler solution (Namely even the one Titan-Z will of course have) while running cool.

The other thing is, 500 Watt on a dual GPU card is pretty normal in the realm of cards considering TDP's from the two top cards these are based off of run around 300Watts.

I wanna see a comparison to this and the new titan even tho titan z will be roughly 20-30% better but still wanna see heat, noise, frames etc. I am prob gonna get the new titan tho when it comes out that is.

Well even so its not going to end up being 20-30% better mostly due to the fact that the Titan Black is only about 5-10% better than the 290X (At least from a gaming perspective). Plus even if it was, 3k versus 1k for even just 20% better would in no way be worth it to most people wince you could just pick up 2 of these cards, run Quad-Fire, and smoke a Titan-Z all the while keeping an extra grand in your pocket.

@VitalyT Display Port 1.2 still does 4k at 60FPS which is the target at the moment, no reason to want something else since this comes equipped with 4 Mini-D ports.

Looks like an absolute beast. If it can beat nVidia's Titan Z and it costs the rumored $1500, then nVidia will be in shock xD.

Looks like an absolute beast. If it can beat nVidia's Titan Z and it costs the rumored $1500, then nVidia will be in shock xD.
Meh, I doubt it will beat Titan-Z unless Nvidia Heavily underclock it like they had to on the GTX 590. It will probably perform with a margin of 10%. Its going to come down to price of course in this matter which by the sound of things both are going to be pricey, but the 295X2 is going to be significantly cheaper.

Meh, I doubt it will beat Titan-Z unless Nvidia Heavily underclock it like they had to on the GTX 590. It will probably perform with a margin of 10%. Its going to come down to price of course in this matter which by the sound of things both are going to be pricey, but the 295X2 is going to be significantly cheaper.
Let's just hope AMDs monster runs cool enough and quiet enough with that water cooler. That is a big factor.

Let's just hope AMDs monster runs cool enough and quiet enough with that water cooler. That is a big factor.
If its anything like the Ares 2 Cooler for the 7970X2 from Asus, then it will be pretty darn powerful. Of course im sure Origin PC could find a way to make the card over heat ;).

LOL. Thanks for sharing that funny clip. I am an AMD fan but they definitely need to work on the noise of their reference card. You wouldn't think it is that hard to find a good blower...

r9295x2.jpg

2b.jpg

FqtLH4P.jpg

Looks like a standard Asetek AIO cooling setup.
Long board
Hope that 2 x 8pin/375W spec isn't the real thing.

Last edited:
Has a stylish suitcase, hybrid cooling..
..similar with ROG Ares 2 design? :)
I hope it's doesn't come with ridiculous price tag like titan-z :D

We can already assume its just another standard design for the Dual GPU cards thats been popularized since the 6990. Love the illuminated fan and logo look, thats a sleek design. Its cool to have an AIO liquid system, but of course adds to the cost if you want to do something else with a card like this (Like for instance your own cooling solution, a liquid block?).

Can't wait for April 8th to see it in action, bet no one is going to be able to make a complaint about overheating this round anyway.

We can already assume its just another standard design for the Dual GPU cards thats been popularized since the 6990.
The only thing popularized by the 6990 was industrial deafness ;)
The design (central radial fan) can be found on the HD 5970 Eyefinity 6 edition. Apropos since this thing looks like the bastard child of a GTX 690 and an XFX Ghost Edition...or maybe a three-way involving a Leadtek Ultra Leviathon
Its cool to have an AIO liquid system, but of course adds to the cost if you want to do something else with a card like this
Like run it in quadfire?
(Like for instance your own cooling solution, a liquid block?).
What a shame AMD didn't think to make the connections a standard G1/4 to allow some flexibility in usage scenarios.
Can't wait for April 8th to see it in action, bet no one is going to be able to make a complaint about overheating this round anyway.
Probably depends on how effective the radial fan is at cooling the voltage regulation circuits, but I'm guessing that the main issue might be sustaining the "up to 1018MHz" clock for any length of time. It's a pity that AMD now deliberately obfuscates base clock frequency, it would be interesting to know what range the card operates at in typical 3D mode.

The only thing popularized by the 6990 was industrial deafness ;)
The design (central radial fan) can be found on the HD 5970 Eyefinity 6 edition. Apropos since this thing looks like the bastard child of a GTX 690 and an XFX Ghost Edition...or maybe a three-way involving a Leadtek Ultra Leviathon
I was actually referring to the design in terms of the ports and such. The DVI with 4 Mini-DP's Like such:
Link since the insert option does not work for this site for me
Taken from one of my 2 Personal AX6990's.
Like run it in quadfire?
More than easily done, I did awhile back a system for kicks that had an Antec Kuhler920 and 2 PNY LC GTX 580's using 3 separate radiators. Would of course be case permitting. Ill see if I still carry some pics of it around because it was quite an odd setup to be shown at LAN party's. May not have been 4 GPU's, but the principle was the same.
What a shame AMD didn't think to make the connections a standard G1/4 to allow some flexibility in usage scenarios.
Agreed, I would have actually preferred something to this extent if possible (Would have been difficult though).
Probably depends on how effective the radial fan is at cooling the voltage regulation circuits, but I'm guessing that the main issue might be sustaining the "up to 1018MHz" clock for any length of time. It's a pity that AMD now deliberately obfuscates base clock frequency, it would be interesting to know what range the card operates at in typical 3D mode.
Well Nvidia has been doing the whole central Radial design system for quite sometime without the assistance of Liquid so unless the fan spins at like 1200RPM I would hope it could cool correctly.

As far as base clocks go, temps should be permitted enough to keep the card running at those peaks for extended periods. The only problem could be as far as I see on the overclocking fields, but then again buying a dual GPU card to seriously overclock is like buying a Toyota Prius and trying to add a Super Charger.

As I noted, the HD 5970 E6 been there, done that with mDP (they also supplied two mDP to DVI-D adapters with the card)
XFX-ATI-Radeon-HD-5970-Black-Edition-Limited-3.jpg
I understand I know which card your speaking about. I was just referring to the basic layout of 1DVI and 4 M-Display in general. Not specifically referencing the tons of M-DP's on the eyefinity 6 series cards out there...

Why don't I remember seeing bundles like that? I want my next GPU to come in a gun shaped case lol.

Back