TechSpot

dual hard drive boot problem

By sirjrock
Jun 6, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok, heres my problem. I have two hard drives installed on my computer. I cannot get it to boot with only one hard drive. Even though xp is fully functionaly on drive d it somehow needs drive c to boot. Is ti posiible for the operating sytem to boot from c and run on d? I have tried every combination of jumpers .. When i enter the bios it only has one option of booting from drive c.. Do i need to change the drive letters? Also i cannot format drice c.. Once again drive d is the primary drive which has the operating sytem that works. All i want to do is uninstall the second hard drive .. how do i fix this??

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

Would help a LOT if you said what TYPE of DRIVES hooked up HOW to What!

:)

3. sirjrock

sirjrock TS Rookie Topic Starter

dual hard drives

i have a 80gb maxtor and a 80 gb wh. On the same cable set to the cable select position. The maxor, which is location 1 is labeled as the d drive and has the fully functional operating system on it. When i disconnect the c drive which i dont want installed, and set d drive to master it wont boot. I actually need both to run computer.. strange??

4. CCT

5. sirjrock

it is a dell dimension 2400 .. it came with 40 pin so that whats im using a dual connector 40 ide

6. sirjrock

yes ide primary

7. CCT

They are ALL 40 pin - the difference is 80 wire versus 40 wire - they hook up differently - read the article.

8. sirjrock

it is not 80 wire..

9. sirjrock

wow, i didnt know about the 80vs40 slot on the motherboard,, i guess i have some more options now...

10. gguerra

gguerra TS Enthusiast Posts: 559

You need to tell XP which partition you want as active..

Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Mangement, Right Click on Partition you want to boot from, select Mark Partition as Active, shut down computer, remove the drive you dont want, restart computer. You can also use the DISKPART command from the command window

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.