Dual HD boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed a new HD and am having some boot issues. When I try to boot a screen comes up and ask which system I want to boot, both say Windows default, I have figured out that the top one is the new drive. The problem is that after selecting the drive the system gets hung up in Windows logo screen where the bar is that shows the system is working and won't go any further until I reboot a couple of times then it starts. I tried removing the old HD, which is what I want to do anyway because it was having problems but then no HD is detected even though I have the new one set as master and the old one set as slave. The ribbon cable used to link the two drives used to link only one drive and the Zip drive together. I know that it's something simple but I can't seem to figure it out.

Have you tried setting the jumper to cable select,and putting the new drive on the end of the cable ? Just a thought.

so you have installed Windows XP on the new hard drive and u also have Windows XP installed on the old hard drive?? hmm....i don't know why it keeps freezing up...maybe in the BIOS you could set to boot the new hard drive..if its master then its HDD 0 and for second and third boot attempt leave it as "none"...then when u get into Windows...run "msconfig" and mess around with the boot.ini tab...it's used for partitions..but it might help with 2 hard drives...just a thoght...i've never actually had you're problem.

Peddant, thanks for the link i switched the jumpers and hope it works. Does anyone know of a utility that enables you to send specific files from one hdd to the other ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back