TechSpot

Dual-HDD laptop crashed - trying to salvage the data

By Kevin Markov
Jul 4, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Hi folks, I'm at my wits end with this problem and am desperately seeking advice. So far, after scouring the internet, I haven't been able to find a solution that works for my case.

I had a 5+ year old MSI gaming laptop that burned out from what was probably a short circuit, based on my investigations. I assume it was either the MoBo or PSU that was fried but, since I was due for an upgrade anyway, it was an opportunity to let go of the old and buy something new. I did have a critical data backup, but let's just say it wasn't recent enough and I don't find it sufficient (lesson learned).

The old laptop had a dual HDD setup (2x 500GB SATA, model WD5000BPKT). It was a 2x partition with the primary partition running the OS (Windows 10) and the secondary just acting as storage.

I have a new laptop now (also running on Windows 10). I bought an external adapter for the old HDD's to connect via USB, but they are not properly recognized and require formatting to access, which I assume is due to the partitioning mess. Now I fear that the only way for me to salvage the data is to build a bare-bones box with the same dual HDD setup, which I'd like to avoid for cost reasons.

Any advice from the experts on what I can do here? Very much appreciate any help offered!

2. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,665   +312

Why not just use system SATA on a borrowed PC to add the 2 old HDDs as slave drives? Copy to cloud or DVD or USB flash. Should only take a couple of hours.

"require formatting to access, which I assume is due to the partitioning mess" More likely incompatible format.

3. Kevin Markov

Kevin Markov TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for replying! Unfortunately, no one who I'd feel comfortable borrowing from owns a PC, only laptops. I am an expat away from home and don't have a close network of friends.