Dual monitor problems- second monitor refresh times dreadful

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 6 months ago i invested in a second video card to use with an old monitor and a new PC. After much trial and error i eventually got it all working.

A couple of days ago i re-installed windows however and therefore all my settings have been reset and am now havein problems, and if i remember rightly the same ones as before. But for the life of me i cant figure out how to solve them this time round. So any help would be appreciated.

Spec -

2x plug and play monitor (almost sure it has nothing to do with these so wont add details)

1x Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 (AGP) with fully updated drivers (from manufacturers website) (the monitor off this video card works fine)

1x ATI Radeon 7000 (PCI) fully updated drivers (without catylist command centre however due to some installation problems. I had these before when both monitors worked fine..just the drivers) - Problematic monitor

Bios - Dell Computer Corporation A12 (newly updated) (I heard somewhere that this may have an effect).

The Problem-
On my second monitor (Radeon 7000 (PCI) whenever i try to move a frame, scroll in IE etc the refresh rate is appaling. Entire lines get moved at a time.
The only time the refersh rate does not slow is when moving the mouse and scrolling through files in c drive as far as i can tell. If i switch my primary monitor to this one and stop the monitor 'extension' it still flickers. Ive checked my monitors by changing which card they use and as expected, the monitors were not the problem as the same problem just happend on the opposite.

Any help would be great as music editing, wave sampling/sequencing etc etc is so much smoother and organised with this set-up..and the thought of going back, ouch.

Xaxian

Well, could be bad drivers... nvidia and ATI hate eachother, so I dunno why you got cards like that, could be a driver conflict from un-updated windows files, that is to say, uninstall drivers, update everything on windows, re-install newest drivers.

Indeed. Try installing the drivers in some other order. E.g. reinstall the nVidia ones and see if things improve. If not, install the ATI ones.

Disable all the "helper" crap that these userfriendly drivers put on your machine (all them hotkey thingies and systray icons and multi-display managers and the lot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back