Dual P2 XEON?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eveneannenevs

based off the responses i got when talking about a dual athlon mp system... it doesnt look so great. so i'm thinking of some other options. i've got a friend who does 3d animation and uses an older gateway server. It's got a dual xeon motherboard but he only uses one processor... when i had the chance of working on this system, it seemed REALLY fast. it could be that he had a SCSI drive that spun so fast you could hear it grind, or it could be that he did't have all the clutter on it and was running windows NT 4. but like i said, it was REALLY fast. i'm just asking for some thoughts on this because right now (besides the INSANE cost for a dual xeon motherboard) it seems like a viable option. thanks!

Originally posted by eveneannenevs
geez... no one here has ever used anything besides a p4 or athlon? :rolleyes:
Oh we have, I guarentee. Just maybe few of us have used what you are looking for.
I've used:
Commodore 64
Motorola 68020
Motorola 68030
Power PC 603e (Think motorola made that too)
Intel 386
Intel Pentium 2
AMD Athlon Thunderbird.

If I remember well, Th3M1ghtyD8 & SLeeperDC have dual CPU setups but not many of us need such a system for home use.

You will see a significant improvement in a very little amount of applications. Mostly professional ones, that's why it's not very interesting for people like us.

I don't know of many places to find info about dual processor systems in the area of home use. There are very few apps that utilize dual processors and those that do are generally 3D animation and graphics apps, though some productivity apps use it too. As for things like playing games, as far as I know, it will be useless in speeding up gaming or making your movies/audio files play better.

For the most part, a dual processor system will behave as a single processor system unless the second processor is called upon by a specific application or applications.

It's the SCSI drive.. Or possibly a large amount of memory he might have.

Trust me, the Pentium II.. In any form or fashion.. Wouldn't come close to any single-processor offered recently... And let's not even mention dual processors...

I'd take an Athlon MP 1.2GHz+ (single) over that dual P-II anyday.

The XEON architecture isn't really faster... It's just a P-II in a clown suit. If you think that old gateway was fast, then I think you''ll be very impressed with any newer processors available in either single or double configurations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back