Dual XP Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonea

So, I just reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows. On boot I must choose between 'Windows XP Media Center Edition' and 'Windows XP Media Center Edition.'

When reading up on a dual boot it simply says to go into my computer and format hard drive 'd' or which ever one you don't want...thing is...I only have one hard drive installed. I only have Local Disk (C) installed. How can I remove the second Windows XP from my computer. I just want my windows to boot normally instead of asking which one I want to use.

Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Edit > you ought to have a notepad of text in front of you now which looks something like this (copied from my boot.ini):

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Except, you'll have two of the bolded text and obviously, they'll have a different name ("Windows XP Media Center Edition" etc). Remove the invalid one and save the document. Reboot and see if it's gone.

If you happen to remove the *wrong* one, just boot into the Recovery Console on the XP CD and enter the commands "fixboot" and "fixmbr".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back