Dualview on Biostar Gforce Fx 5200

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwr_1986

Hello all,

I recently purchased this Biostar card under the impression that I could run dual monitors thanks to the nVidia software that is included. My problem is that it is seeing both monitors as monitor 1. Even when I do get it into dual mode both monitors display the same thing and running the mouse off the right side of the screen just lands it in the abyss. It was a real hoot when I tried rebooting that way and had to log into windows with the username and password prompt on the non existant second screen.

This card has one VGA and one DVI port so I have a DVI to VGA adapter to allow the two VGA connections. I'm at a loss and Biostar's tech support seemed to be unfamiliar with the notion of connecting two monitors to a single card. What year are they in.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Jesse

From what you say I understand that you are using the software that came with the card. What happens if you look at the card's properties using the windows tools?

I've tried both. I find that the software that came with the card actually just seems to reconfigure the windows software. No matter what setting I change they both display the same thing.

Jesse

Maybe it is like a laptop setup or perhaps resitricted by your O/S - you can only have certain settings with it.
Is it practical to take it back and get something else? Sounds like the support people are a waste of space.

Yes I have to agree about the support people. The issue seems to be that it recognizes both monitors yet only puts out display for one. It's rather odd. Even if I disconnect the one on the vga port and just leave the one connected to the DVI port it will recognize the monitor but when I try to tell it to use that monitor it just goes black. After the 15 seconds to confirm the settings expires it goes back to the previous settings.

Does anyone know if there is a way to access the bios on the video card? It seems like it is going to be one of those really stupid settings that once switched everything may work.

Thanks again

Jesse

Another thought on this - are there any jumpers on the card?
One way round it is to get a cheap PCI graphics card and run the second monitor on that.

No there are no jumpers on the board bu I may have an old pci card somewhere. In fact I think I have a bag of them. Thanks for the thought. I'll still be mad that this doesn't work as advertised but at least that will get us going.

Thanks

Jesse

Another thought - you say that when you connect through one of the ports the monitor just goes black. Have you tried running these monitors at the lowest resolution and refresh rates (say 60 Hertz) just in case?

Another thought - you say that when you connect through one of the ports the monitor just goes black. Have you tried running these monitors at the lowest resolution and refresh rates (say 60 Hertz) just in case?

I've returned the card. It seems that tigerdirect's people made a mistake and recommended a card that couldn't do all that I needed it to. That is why the tech support guy couldn't figure out what I was talking about. He actually called me back when he said he was going to and everything. In that respect I'm actually rather impressed. I've searched through all my extra cards and either don't have drivers or they simply don't work. So I guess I'm back to buying yet another card. Oh well.

Thanks

Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back