Duke Nukem Never?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

Here is some I guess not unexpected news at Shacknews saying what most of us have probably come to expect pretty much time after time.
"Analyst: Regarding Duke Nukem Forever for the PC, any chance - any possibility under the sun - that we see that this holiday season? Or at what point do you guys just pull the plug on that?

Take Two: I think in terms of possibilities under the sun for this holiday season, the answer to that is 'no.' With regards to next year, we're in a wait and see mode at this point. You know, last quarter we wrote it down substantially, so we generally already pulled the plug. And right now we're just hopeful that the team in Dallas will finish it."
They say they are hopeful the team in Dallas will finish it? That sounds kind of fatalistic to me.

it is possible, but

highly improbable..........................with what is on the horizon in games, it would be a finacial fiasco...............this game reminds me somewhat of the daikatana fiasco.............with one difference.......duke nukem loyalists...........and this too will pass...............unless........similar to id...........they crank it out on the d3 engine

If this game were to be at all successful they would have to ditch the entire game code, and restarte everything from scratch. Otherwise they are going to be releasing something that is years behind in graphics, physics and game engine code. It would be a very bad decision on 3D Realms part, because if they sell the game now they will be getting limited sells. When you think about the man hours that have been put into this game for years now (if they have actually even been getting off of their butt's and writing this game) has cost them so much that no amount of money they make off of this game is going to cover even their employees wages. This company has become downright pathetic.

IMO, there best bet is to trash what they have and license some code from another company like Valve or ID (because lets face it 3DR you SUCK) to save time, and then begin re-writing the code from scratch for everything. If they actually sat down and worked on this game instead of playing Doom 3 Alpha in their little offices oogling over ID and Valve's new screenshots they would actually get something done. They are paying too much attention to what other companies are doing and not enough about what they are doing. Let's face it 3DR, no matter what you say, you are wasting your time. Re-write the code from scratch and this time actually work on the game and stop goofing off of like the dead company that you are. Forget that you even ever started on DNF and lets pretend its a brand new idea. Oh, and get rid of 90% of your daggum employees and hire some REAL talent.

If I remember correctly, they have already scraped the original game engine and now are using another (that was one of the original reasons for the delay). Probably by now it's time to scrap that one to. Surely they have not been working on this game constantly for all these years. Maybe someone has convinced them that anticipation relates to sales, and more than likely if this game ever sees the light of day, it will be a good seller, but how in the world will they ever make money on something they have been working on for so long that they have to change graphics engines at least once and maybe again before it's over with. There's one thing to hope for, if it ever does make it, hopefully it will be a great game.

PS2? LOL. Considering this game won't be out till AT LEAST the PS3 is available in stores, then I kind of doubt it.

You know, I really hate when companies port games to consoles. I think it is a disgrace. I can only name about 10 console games that I've ever enjoyed playing and I've tried hundreds. Resident Evil series, and Parasites Eve games are my favorite's of all time for the console and are the only game I see that are good for the console. I can't really see playing RE on the PC, but that is a large exception. Also Metal Gear Solid 2 was a good game to play.
Zone Ender was very interesting for multiplayer, but after a few hours of battling it out, it just got pretty repetive as the easiest way to win it seemed was to press as many buttons as fast as you can. (If your fast, that method always works for some reason).

acidosmosis: Do you work at 3DR? Have you seen the game?

I thought not... So then how can you judge a game you have never seen?

What is there saying that 3DR has not rewritten the Unreal engine to look even better than what was in UT2003/Unreal2 (they do get the latest driver code from Epic as soon as there is an update to the unreal engine since it's the engine they have licensed, not a engine build...)

Not trying to start a flame war here but I do believe a company that has been making computer games for two decades know more about this than what you do...

c'mon hansson

get a grip.......everyone is just speculating.......some are hoping......some are not.........my answer was........... that it is improbable...........

Whether they have been making games for 20 years or not. I've been playing them for 20 years, since I was able to walk, and I've learned to guess what a company is going to do. 3DR is in the hole right now and they know it. IMO I just dont think the game will be worth it. Even if they re-write the Unreal engine, whay does it matter? The engine is becoming older and older by the day as 3DR waits even another year to release DNF. I wouldn't be suprised if they have re-written it 5 times already.

Maybe Duke's really getting closer than we thought. Look at this.

Edit; I'm telling you, these shots look pretty good, especially in high res.

It may be taking forever for the game to come out but I dont know about it being horribly out of date looking. some of the old 2001 footage still looks better than most games that have come out recently.

Ive been waiting for this to be released since....well forever!! It is my understanding that the creators have changed the grafics engine from half-life, quake, unreal tournament and now unreal tournament 2003 engine. Will they make their mind up? Ive got a feeling it will never be released. They should release it as freeware for the torment they have put die hard fans of the orginal duke dukem 3D through

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back