Dungeon Siege : Crash / Exception problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

Ok running detonators 28.32 (latest from Nvidia) I get exception errors with this game. Keep getting the option to send error reports to Microsoft (keep thinking the game is based on IE technology ;) ). I have tried a set of trusty old 23.11 detonators but I still get the same problem. I managed to play the whole section of the game that is based in the Crypt without any error but as soon as I am back in a forest before Stonebridge the error comes back. I save constantly in worried anticipation of the next exception/crash but this is no solution as its killing the enjoyment value of the game! I also tried turning off fog emulation but still the same error!!!
Aside from my problems it seems like a real nice game...

PC Specifications:-
-----------------------
CPU: AMD Athlon C 1400MHz @ 1503MHz
Motherboard: ASUS A7M266
Memory: 256 MB of Hitachi 2100DDR
Video Card: ASUS V8200 Pure (Nvidia Geforce 3)
Hard Drive: Maxtor 20.0 GB @ 5400 RPMS
Monitor: 19" Samsung SM 957DF
CDROM Manufacturer & Model: Mitsumi
DVD Manufacturer & Model: Samsung
Storage Interface: IDE
Sound Card: Hercules Fortissimo 2
Operating System: Windows 98SE

There are some newer leaked drivers you can try out...

Other than that, it is the standard issue suggestions.

1. Use a different video renderer (if possible).
  2. Change every video setting possible.
  3. Reinstall
  4. Try running your desktop at the same resolution and bit depth as the game
  5. Download any patches or updates if available.
  6. Reinstall Direct X
    [/list=1]

Yeah, guess I am going to have to try the DirectX reinstall.
Just have to put a modem into my PC since I am now on 56k again.... :(

Ta Rick, I just wondered if there was a simple fix to this issue out there ;)

Don't think its these files that were being reported as having problems but I will check out that forum anyway as it may have some other helpful stuff for me,

Thanks ;)

Originally posted by Rick
There are some newer leaked drivers you can try out...

Other than that, it is the standard issue suggestions.

1. Use a different video renderer (if possible).
  2. Change every video setting possible.
  3. Reinstall
  4. Try running your desktop at the same resolution and bit depth as the game
  5. Download any patches or updates if available.
  6. Reinstall Direct X
    [/list=1]

1. Ok I checked the forums Mict pointed me to, I've done a fresh windows install, I've played with all the video options and the trouble shooting options from MS (no sound, 640x480, setting parameter for the exe "verify=true" etc.), and no patches or updates are available from Microsoft for Dungeon Siege yet.

Going to do another fresh windows install tonight and play about with the Via drivers as I couldn't remember which parts were needed for Windows 98SE again (AMD 760 chipset with Via Southbridge on the Asus A7M266 motherboard)... Could be the IRQ driver or AGP (that the AMD driver might not have successfully replaced)... :(

Just found this over at the PlanetDungeonSiege forums
From Rob_0126 @ PlanetDugeonSiege forums:

Heres a possible solution for everyone with via motherboards and nvidia graphics cards:

Turn 4x AGP off.

I have been playing the game for the past 2 days with absolutely no crash, or exception errors.

I turned off 4x agp in my bios and also with software(well actually, Idid some registry editing, but I dont suggest that unless you know what your doing).
Turning it off in the video card settings will probably suffice.

Bit annoying having to mess with AGP settings to get the game to run without crashing.....
There are loads of people saying that they too get crashes on various system setups.
"Argh"!

Have you tryed using with an OS other then 98SE ?

I know games are supposed to work better on 98SE but you nowadays you never know.

I heard newer versions of DirectX are developped on 2K/XP first & then ported to 98. Maybe we're seing the first generation of games that actually work on 2K/XP rather then 98/ME.

As you've guessed, I'm using 2K & the game runs fine on it.

2K SP2, DX 8.1, Det 29.20 ( with Refresh Rate Fix ), Via 4 in 1s 4.38

No sooner had I pointed out the fact that the game was working for me that I opened a savegame to find out that one of my characters has lost his main weapon.:(

I had to go to a shop & buy a new one. I think it's time they realsed a patch allready.

Then I won't tell you guys that I've never had a problem running this game. Nope - I won't say it.

LNCPapa

I would try another OS but then I would have to fight trying to get about a dozen other games to work in that other OS.
Thanks but no thanks ;)
Other suggested fixes at PlanetDungeonSiege are to turn of Antialiasing...
Have a couple of things to try once I get back to the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back