DVD Burner does not recognize CD's or DVD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brock Kane

As if they weren't even there.

Windows see's the drive as DVD-RAM Drive (E:)

But when I put a DVD or CD, whether they are blank or a manufactured game or program on the disc.....it is not seen.

Even exploring the disc is shows nothing. Like not even any data files on the disc. As if there were no disc in the drive.

Any clues? Please help frustrated!

- Brock

Can be faulty drive - or just needs a cleaner disc put through it

Or
Go to Device manager and fully remove it
Restart and allow Windows to find the drive again

In Windows Xp
Go to System in Control Panel
HardWare
Device Manager
Expand the plus sign on the CD/DVD Drive
Highlight the drive in question
Click Remove
OK
Restart
Allow it to install again (you may need to do another restart)
Try again

Optical drives with DVD capabilities last about a year, if not overly used. If they are used a great deal, they will last about six months.
It is likely that two of the three lasers in your optical drive have burned out, like a light bulb.
Most of the optical drives with the symptoms you describe are burned out... some have a rubber band-type drive belt that has slipped off, or a rubber wheel drive that is stuck or flat on one side.
If still within the standard one year warranty, the manufacturer will replace it free, with proof of purchase.
Otherwise, it is time to trot down to your friendly neighborhood Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, or buy one online at www.directron.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, www.newegg.com, www.tigerdirect.com, www.pcmall.com, www.pcconnection.com, www.cdw.com, www.ecost.com, and so on.
At their current low prices, it doesn't seen like a big price to pay.

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I would agree it may be a faulty drive. It is less than one year old. I have tried to uninstall the drive and let Windows re-install it, several times.

I was hoping it wasn't a problem drive, but it is turning out to seem to be the problem.

As cheap as DVD burners are now, buying a new one wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Thanks again gentlemen

-Brock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back