Athlon XP 3200+
512 Ram(256*2/2)
onboard video
ASUS CD ROM
HP DVD writer dvd 400i
160 GB HDD with a 5GB partition for recovery
stock PSU
PCI tv capture card(expansion)

Anyways we've been burning DVD's and CD's with ease for about 3 or so years now and just recently ran into trouble.

The CD drive is still appearing in My Computer, but the DVD burner is no longer there. It is however, still in Device Manager and in the BIOS.

I checked the IDE and power cables and they are all in correctly, but I am going to try a new 4pin power cable after posting.

If you know any reason I might be having this problem please reply, I just want to burn DVD's again and am open to anything, Thank you.

Kitch

Being that the drive is 3 years old and an HP it is probably dead. you can get a far better drive for less than 40.00 at newegg. look for the BenQ 1650.

the only other thing yo could try is uninstall the ide channel the drive is on and reboot. if windows detects the drive then it will reinstall the drivers when it reinstalls the ide channel on restart. ( the ide channels can be found in device manager under IDE ATA|ATAPI Controllers/

yea i opened er up and realized the power connection didnt fit for some reason, i tried different connections, differnet PSU's and different machines, but to no avail

so i went for the BenQ for a good $35 with free shipping at Newegg

Newegg is god in the computer parts world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back