dvd burner...movie is unstable when playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I'm also new here, so please be gentle. Just purchased an LG DVD burner double layer 16X. Installed it and seems ok, except when I put inside a movie DVD the image is unstable. For example, the image & sound is studdering or chopped up. It does not play smoothly. By the way it's not a burnt DVD movie, this is a purchased movie DVD.

My machine is (I know it's a little old) AMD-K6 500mhz. 654,884 kb RAM, Voodoo3 2000 video card. O/S Windows 2000 Pro.

Is there some tweaking to do? Or is this machine or some components on it not up to speed for this new DVD burner.

Thanks.

Ideas to help...

Go to LG and make sure that you have the latest drivers for your drive. Once this is done, see if it helps. If not, check your video card. You can do this by going to start>run>then type in "dxdiag". Run all tests and make sure they come back clean. If not, upgrade your video card drivers. Drivers should always be the first thing to update when a problem arises. If this doesn't solve your problem, it may be a problem with your dvd decoder. Try reinstalling your dvd playing software to see if that fixes your problem. (You could also give VLC player a shot. It's a great little media player that plays almost every media format out there! Just google it so that you can download the latest version.

Hope that helps!:D
+
Best of luck!

as a general rule of thumb smooth DVD playback requires a pentium 3 500 mhz( or K7 500 mhz)and above.

I don't think you can expect any better from that system. Sorry.

You will have to get a new system to be able to play DVD-movies normally.

Nah thats BS that his system can't play it, I've personally seen dvds played on a Pentium II, 233. It was not my system and I think he may have had a special card to decode.

BUT

I personally owned a Pentium II system at 300Mhz, and it played dvds fine without a special card.

I know a K6 isn't comparable to a Pentium II on a Mhz basis, but a 500 should be able to play dvds.

you can get smooth playback on a 400 mhz P3. and probably smooth playback with a PII and a decent video card. but a K6 500 mhz and a voodoo2 isnt likely.

but just in case, there is one thing that can affect DVD playback. check in device manager under IDE ATA\ATAPI COntrollers check properties for the ide channel your drive is installed on and under the "advanced" tab check and make sure that it is operating at UDMA2. if it is showing PIO mode then this could cause choppy playback.

Thanks for the insight guys.

My computer is not up to speed but I think the biggest culprit is that I don't have DMA option available only PIO.

best regards to all.

to fix your problem go into device manager adn uninstall the ide channel that the DVD is on then reboot windows will reinstall the ide channel and the drive when it restarts. it should then be operating in DMA mode.

you will find the IDE channel in device manager under "IDE ATA|ATAPI Controllers."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back