DVD Burner - Samsung TS-H522U

Status
Not open for further replies.

bushwhacker

Guys, I'm having the problems with this burner.

After updating the new firmware to it... that is US06.

I'm wondering if you guys can give me the old firmware (above 2004) or will i be able to downgrade the burner down to US05? What will happens to it?

It still works, but wont write. >.>

Thanks rick, i will check it out ^^

Oh rick, Welcome back to Techspot ^^

The Samsung new f/w TS-H552U US07 looks interested i will try it out and let you guys know.

Thanks ^^

it didnt work, maybe it could be hardware itself? (i have updated US07) nothing happens.

Any suggestion?

sorry for double post.

bushwhacker said:
maybe it could be hardware itself?
That wouldn't surprise me at all.

It still works, but wont write.
Optical burners use two different lasers - one for reading (lower power), one for writing (higher power). It's very possible your writing laser has quit working for whatever reason, be it electronic or mechanical.

The most certain way to find out if your CDRW is dead is to install it in another system and test whether it works or not. Alternatively, a fresh install of Windows (maybe on another drive or partition for testing purposes only) would be a good way to determine if it is software or hardware.

Rick said:
That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Optical burners use two different lasers - one for reading (lower power), one for writing (higher power). It's very possible your writing laser has quit working for whatever reason, be it electronic or mechanical.

The most certain way to find out if your CDRW is dead is to install it in another system and test whether it works or not. Alternatively, a fresh install of Windows (maybe on another drive or partition for testing purposes only) would be a good way to determine if it is software or hardware.

Rick, bad news, tried it on both live cd and fresh installation on Kubuntu 6.06 LTS. Only simulation passed but no write >.>

Do i have to send it back to store for repair?

bushwhacker said:
Rick, bad news, tried it on both live cd and fresh installation on Kubuntu 6.06 LTS. Only simulation passed but no write >.>

Do i have to send it back to store for repair?

If it is still within the return period from the store, I'd take it back. If it is outside of the return period, but under warranty, get an RMA with the manufacturer and have it repaired or replaced. If it is no longer under warranty, then just buy another one because they are super cheap anymore... You can get a nicely working DVD+CD burner for less than $30.

Of course, that is for illustrative purposes as Newegg doesn't ship to Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back