TechSpot

DVD burner won't recognize CDs

By Wilmeland
Dec 28, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have I/O magic 8x dual format DVD burner installed in 1900+ athlon set up. 160 & 80 gig HD, 512 meg ram, xp OS. Also have CDRW in second bay. For the past 11 months, this set up has run without glitch, reading & burning all format (+/-)DVD and CDs (probably close to a couple hundred). Last week, the DVD drive stopped recognizing any CDs (music, blanks, CD ROMs). The only software changes I'd made was uninstall/re-install newer version of Monkey's Audio. DVD drive still plays and burns DVDs though.
    I tried uninstalling monkeys audio and even later re-installing the old monkeys audio software, then tried going back with system restore to point when I knew drive was reading CDs. Then contacted I/O magic support & they directed me to new version of firmware. I installed new firmware, but still have same problem.
    I also thought it might be Roxio (version 6) since I had that program get corrupted once before, but then, burner just stopped working. Now I get ok performance burning DVDs from DVD burner & ok performance from CDRW, so I tend to think it's hardware problem with the DVD drive.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. ronnoc3

ronnoc3 TS Rookie

I don't have an answer but I am having the same problem with the same burner. If you find anything out please let me know.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.