TechSpot

DVD Burning Problems

By UnluckyProf
Feb 25, 2007
  1. I have recently bought a Sony AW-G170AB2, after my old drive died, but I'm having problems burning dvds with it.
    When I put a dvd in the drive, windows calls it a CD Drive and refuses to let me create the dvd.
    I am able to read cds and dvds with the drive though.

Any help is greatly appreciated

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

The Sony AW-G170AB2 is a rebagged Lite-On drive... I suggest trying another CD/DVD writer

3. phkhgh

phkhgh TS Rookie Posts: 70

Need more info. What ver of Windows, what burning prgm.

1st step would be to go to Sony support site. If it's a new burner, they should provide free support. This is not that difficult a problem, but may take a little time.

Does it give any other err msgs? Have you checked if there are updated drivers available for your burner? In fact, do you know that the Sony drivers are installed at all, and correctly?

Quite often burning prgms, like Nero & others, let you select from multiple burners. Make sure you select the correct one, if it applies here. If the burning prgm recognizes it as a DVD, not just CD, then that's a good sign. Sometimes, its a matter of reinstalling, or installing the correct drivers.

I'd definitely start w/ Sony rather than looking on M$ site for answers. HTH

4. Tmagic650

UnluckyProf is long gone...

5. phkhgh

phkhgh TS Rookie Posts: 70

What does that mean?

6. Tmagic650

UnluckyProf hasn't been around for almost a month now

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

who is unluckyprof?