dvd burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
after burning a backup of my video dvd's, I play it back the copy on my computer and it works fine; however when I play it on my dvd player, the copy works for a few minutes thens starts to jump and hang up; am a novice and not sure what is going on, help please

This could be one of five things usually.

1, you need to use a slower recording speed when writing the DVD
2, your DVD media isn't very good for DVD video
3, your DVD burner doesn't burn DVD's your player is happy with
4, your player doesn't like recorded DVD's
5, bad encoding

A firmware update for your recorder might help, as may changing the burn speed to something slower. You might also like to check your codecs, and/or try a different authoring program (despite my problems with Nero's bloat, I'm quite fond of the Nero Vision that ships with nero 7 premium at the moment. It worked great for me when all else failed).

DVDs burned on your computer do not always work in regular home dvd players depending on some of the factors Spike already mentioned. In another player that same dvd might work fine. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules.

thanks spike and mailpup; I am a senior citizen and even though A+ certified, am not much force on software and applications

when you say my media isnt very good for recording dvd's; do you mean I am using cheap blank dvd's to burn to? what do you recommend I use?

my burner is dvd-; not sure how that affects things; I use dvd- blanks

both my dvd players are a few years old

my computer is a new dell, but I installed an internal dvd burner drive that I bought on line

Sometimes the manufacturer of an optical drive will post recommended media brands (based on testing) on their website. Give that a try. Otherwise you will have to experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back