TechSpot

DVD combo not reading DVD but reading CD

By Ayush
Aug 1, 2005
  1. Hi ,
    I have a samsung Sm-352F CDRW/DVD combo drive ( 2 months old ) .Initially i just had to add it to my desktop and it was working fine reading both CD and DVD ...the SYstem tab still says that it is working fine and i m able to read CD on it but DVD are not being read .Once i load any movie DVD it tries to read it but after a few moments just stops . I am able to open and can explore it but it shows blank ..even though the DVD is just fine ...

can someone help ///
    Am using XP
    Thanks
    ayush

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Sounds to me that the drive is faulty. It`s only 2 months old so it will still be under warranty. Get it replaced.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. winxp_user

winxp_user TS Rookie

Windows XP not reading SAMSUNG DVD SM-352F VT902

Windows XP not reading SAMSUNG DVD SM-352F VT902

From My Computer/Manage/Device Manager/DVD/CD-ROM drives, Right Click On Drive Name and select Properties. In the Driver Tab you will find

the version:

Driver Provider : Microsoft
    Driver Date : 01/07/2001
    Driver Version : 5.1.2535.0
    Driver Signer : Microsoft Windows Publisher

In Driver details you will find File Version:

5.1.2600.2180(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

The following Windows XP system files are currupt. Replace/ Update from original Windows XP CD or SP2 and reboot the system. (You may overwrite from other DVD readable system).

C:\Windows\System32\storprop.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\cdrom.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\imapi.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\redbook.sys

Now you are will have the Success!! UREKA!!!

Thanks. Bye.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,687   +334

Drive may not be faulty if you can see the contents of it. But I don't think its a driver the driver issue above either, since it reads cds fine.

Try some other disks to make sure its not just that disk. Reinstall your dvd software (powerdvd or windvd I assume) and if it still doesn't work your drive may be bad.

You don't happen to have another computer you can test the drive in, or a bootable dvd do you?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.