TechSpot

DVD Drive ignores disk changes

By nallyamp
May 14, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bit of a weird one here and im stuck.
    My DVD drive (LITE-ON DVD-RW LDW 401S) records to cd's and dvd's no problem and will read disks with no problem.
    My problem is if i have a disk in the drive and i want to insert a new disk the drive will not change the information to the new disk.
    e.g. disk 1 is in the drive and is full of text files, i insert disk 2 into the drive wich has video files on it but the drive still thinks i have disk 1 in the drive with the text files.
    If i open up the disk with disk 2 in, my pc still shows disk 1 stuff and if i click on anything it says please insert disk into drive.
    The only way i can get the drive to recongnise the new disk and data is to restart my pc or disable/re-enable the dvd drive.
    Help please.
  2. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,598

When you click on View/refresh at the top of the folder window what happens?
  3. nallyamp

nallyamp TS Rookie Topic Starter

Nothing it refreshes the window but the data on display will still be that from the first disk inserted.
  4. kirock

It sounds like a windows explorer issue. There's malware which can effect the operation of explorer. do a scan with Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware and a virus scan with your AV application, see if that shows anything.
    Also try this: Start/run, now type sfc /scannow (there is a space before the /)
    This will replace any missing Windows system dlls that some apps might have wrote over.
  5. nallyamp

nallyamp TS Rookie Topic Starter

The sfc /scannow fixed my problem thank you so much for your help.
  6. kirock

You are very welcome, I'm glad we could help.

Cheers.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.