Dvd Drive Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DazzaStark

Hi everyone,

I just sent my computer in because the hard drive blew and it needed to be replaced. After I got it back I wanted to burn a video that I did in school onto DVD. All the files are in DVD format ready for burning. They all come out to about 4.5GB. When I tried to burn the computer said there was not enough disk space. I started checking around and I guess the factory presets on this hard drive are set to 4.2GB allowed for my DVD burner to burn. I called HP and they gave me some junk about how 4.3GB = 4.7GB. Please dont explain this to me again. I understand it. The problem is that even when there isnt a disk inserted it still says the same amount that can be burned. I should be hitting the full 4.7GB like I used to before my hard drive blew but for some reason I cant. Can anyone tell me how to increase the size here? I'd appreciated it because HP has the worst customer support and never provides proper answers.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention. Ive tried uninstalling my devices and reinstalling, ive also tried searching google and other search engines for help. Also tried checking to make sure the ide is set on dma and i have tried it both on dma and pio.

WHenever you burn a CD or DVD the burning process itself takes up space ont eh disk. writing borders and other info, etc. that is why you cant put 4.7GB file onto a 4.7GB disk. what program were you using before to burn the disk and what program are you using now? if the program you were using had emplyed some form of compression thaen that would explain why you thought you were getting to use the whole 4.7GB before. you could use somehting like DVD shrink on your file to make it smaller and fit on your disk.

I understand that but the programs that I use are not burning as well. I used to be able to fit at least 4.5 GB on a disk, now I cant. I use numberous programs. DVD Shrink, DVD Santa, Alcohol, DVD Decryptor, ImTOO AVI to DVD Converter. There's many and I've been using them from quite sometime until my hard drive blew. I've check on a couple of disks, most are over the 4.3GB so called limit. When I use DVD shrink I get an "Out of Memory" error "Parameter is incorrect" and the error messages on the other programs pretty much follow the same kind of error.

EDIT: Also my DVD Burner is a Matsh_ita UJ-840D. I cant find any firmware upgrades or even the original firmware. If that helps anyone work out a solution.

return that DVD burner if still have a warranty , and get a new one (if all those nice software's you got there doesn't solve it) lol

Lol.I kinda figured I would do that if I had no choice but I hope someone knows how I can fix this so I dont have to send it back.

hmmm, beside returning your drive, i got other suggestion... how about buying a double layer DVD disk and see if it help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back