DVD-drive not recognised in BIOS, Vista freezing at startup

Hi there. I have a desktop where startup takes around 1minute (during that time HP logo showing) and then freezes during the 'Microsoft Windows' logo (with the bar below not moving). Had to do a hard reboot (press the power button for 10secs), and just keep re-booting until it would finally boot properly. Although I did found out why my PC hangs -- and it's because BIOS doesn't recognise the DVD-drive, which causes windows to freeze. But once I reboot it, and it does detect the dvd-drive, then my PC works beautifully with no problems.

My question now would be: Why can't my PC detect the dvd-drive on BIOS the first time it boots? If I restart my PC, then it's also OK. It's only when I do a shutdown and then boot my PC that BIOS can't detect the dvd-drive. So most of the time I just end up not turning off my PC just to avoid the problem of booting my PC. But it would be good if I can turn off my PC (and save electricty) and not slowly killing it by doing hard-boots all the time.

My PC specs are:
HP Pavillion Slim s3380a
Windows Vista SP1
2Gb memory

I've seen other forums where they recommend removing upper/lower filters and I've done that too but didn't make any difference.

Any other suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Ellen

In the BIOS, what is the boot order of your drives and where does the DVD drive fall in said order?

Also, check your SATA cable connects.

Hi. With the gracious help of ComputerGuy55... he was able to help me with this issue. HP has a fix for dvd-drives specific to this model (which is what I have): HL-DT-ST GH10L ATA. It only needs a firmware upgrade and it fixed the problem.

Unfortunately, being a newbie here, I can't post the link. So if anybody has the same problem, just go to the HP website, and search for the HL-DT-ST model and it should come up with the link to download the firmware.

It did fix my dvd-drive problem, but waited a couple of days to make sure that it's not a fluke. Hope this helps others with the same issue.

Back