DVD drive occasionally vibrates badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyellis

I'm wondering if this is a problem that everyone experiences from time to time, or whether it is the sort of thing that should be fixable and covered by my warranty.

I have a laptop with an Optiarc DVD +-RW AD-5560A burning drive. About 1 of every 3 or 4 discs I put in starts vibrating badly when it begins to burn, and the burn usually fails. I have figured out a system where I always insert a disc the same way and close the drive the same way (I also have had burns fail after a grinding noise, where I think the rubber seal that should stick to the disc and make it spin has suddenly lost its grip and slipped) and that seems to help. If the vibration still occurs I immediately slide the laptop sideways and gently wedge a pen horizontally b/w the drive front and the wall to push the drive door in slightly, and there are usually no problems.

Do all drives have this problem? I am using a flexible burning speed determined by the burning software, so I can't say for sure whether it is speed related, although I am not burning at ridiculous speeds by any stretch of the imagination. Is it possible that all spindles of blank DVDs are that bad in terms of uniformity, such that every 3rd or 4th disc is misshapen enough to have un unbalanced spin? I've never had this problem with any CD/DVD drive in a desktop, but this is my first laptop, so maybe this is a typical problem and I just never encountered it before?

I guess I want to know if this is merely an annoyance or if it is a problem with my specific drive that is going to get worse, and whether there is a way to fix it (e.g., having a technician open it up and tighten some scews or something)?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back