DVD Drive Unresponsive

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoeM076

I've recently been having an issue with my DVD drive where it doesn't play anything I put in it. I put a CD in to play a game, the green light continues to blink on the drive, and nothing pops up. When the CD is in the drive everything I try to open freezes until I open up the DVD drive. My internet connection is also lost. When I try to right click on the DVD drive icon in My Computer, the right click menu doesn't pop up and the Windows Vista waiting icon, which replaces the cursor continues, and continues, and continues...
The weird thing is that when I have a CD in the drive and I boot up my PC, the computer won't go to the Windows Vista Welcome Screen until I take the CD out of the drive. The DVD drive makes noises which sounds like it is working, so I don't think it's dead.
If anyone has any solutions or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Umm... well it's connected to my motherboard through a ribbon cable, and to my PSU through a 4-pin cable. So I think it's ATA.

You could try a new data cable as its a cheap thing to try, but if that makes no difference then the drive will need to be replaced.

I bought a new DVD drive and I have the same issue. When I put a CD or DVD in the drive nothing pops up to play, and when I right click on the drive icon in My Computer, it freezes. So I now know it's not the drive that's the problem. My guess is that it is my PSU. I have a weird PSU configuration where I have my main 700W PSU and an auxiliary PSU which is 300W. I tried using the drive with and without the auxiliary PSU and I get the same results.
I'm not sure what else I can do. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

I tried booting from my OS disk and it wouldn't go to the desktop until I opened the drive. This happens with ALL disks. If I have a disk in the drive when my computer is booting up, it won't go to the desktop UNTIL I open the drive.

Im beginning to suspect it is a fault with your mobo. Its an ata drive right? Try it on a different channel.

Yes it's an ATA drive. I manually switched the drive to Slave on the back of it and I STILL get the same problem.

The only explanation is that it is a fault on your mobo with that ata channel.

You either need a new mobo of you may be able to get away with a pci raid card. But be careful if you go down that route as not all raid cards will run an optical card.

Well that's bad. Oh well I guess I'll have to get a new motherboard...:(

Are you running SATA or IDE hard drives? If you have an IDE hard drive, set the CD as a primary slave and see if it works

I'm running an IDE drive and I still encounter the same issues when I set it to Primary Slave.

I haven't done that yet because that will require a good amount of money. I think that the problem is being caused from either the PSU or the motherboard, like Rik said. I am just having a problem with my current PSU configuration because it is split into a main and auxiliary PSU.

A standard $30 power supply might just solve this problem. I don't believe it is your motherboard because the hard drive works normally

Yeah, I think the problem is the PSU. I don't think a $30 PSU would fix the problem considering I have 2 hard drives, 1 DVD Drive, and 1 Nvidia 8800GTX to power on top of some other hardware.
I would need a higher wattage PSU just to be safe and make sure I DEFINATLEY have enough power for my computer.
- I was looking at this PSU to buy, what do you think about it?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182096

So much talk about large wattage power supplies around here :)

As a tech that has been reparing SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supplies) for many years, I don't take any stock in power supply calculators at all. I have a 3 year old Antec Smart power 350 watt supply, that has run 7 hard drives a DVD ROM and a DVD combo burner without any trouble at all. Unless you are running SLI dual hi-end video cards, a good 450 watt is all anyone needs at any given time...

JoeM076, in your case here, your present power supply may have a faulty voltage/current rail that is causing the CD Burner to malfunction. We still don't know this for sure, but a simple $30 supply might just provide the answer

" I was looking at this PSU to buy, what do you think about it?"...

One word "Overkill"...

When the Nvidia 8800GTX prices go down I plan on going SLI with my graphics cards and I don't want to have to get another PSU with the graphic card. Is that power supply still "overkill" if I do this?

Do you recommend any specific brands of power supplies since it sounds like you have lots of experience with them.
- Is Rosewill a good PSU brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back