DVD drive will not play STORE bought dvds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midgetmax

My dad has had his laptop for about a year now and hasent tryed to play movies on it till recently. The problem is, it will play cds, burned movies, and any dvd that is not store bought. but when you try and play a store bought dvd, it says that he is commitig copyright infringement. Now i remember reading about this somewhere, maybe here, but it was to try and stop people from burning dvd. does anyone know a way around this or a patch or something i can download? Thanks in advance (specs below)

SPECS:
Dell Inspiron B120
512gb ram
40gb hdd
Celeron M 1.2 ghz
Philips CDRW\DVD SCB 5265
Windows XP home

If your year of warranty is not up, talk to Dell tech support. They have had such a high failure rate that you might talk them into a new one. What you describe is not typical... for play... only if you are trying to copy.
However, you might go to the Device Manager within Hardware within System in the control panel. Remove or disable the driver. Then download and install the latest driver.
Also a LOT of drivers, the BIOS, and others of the 56 available downloads have been upgraded since you bought that laptop. If you have not upgraded them all (any with a date more recent than the date the computer was built (see your invoice) then you need to do that.

But if you are out of warranty by just a few days, call Dell anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back