DVD Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milky_Joe

Hi,
Up until yesterday my DVD drive, Pioneer DVR-107D, has been working fine. But today when I put any kind of media into it, DVD or CD, the drive tray closes and it spins once with the read light on and then immediately ejects the DVD.

Any suggestions as to what could be causing this? Or has my drive just bit the dust? :(

Thanks

Dust is a possibility. Also check the data and power cables in the back of it, try different ones if you can.

Other than that, its probably dead. Dvd rom drives are cheap these days.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have checked what you have suggested but no luck. But I have noticed on the properties for the drive it shows it location as Location 0 (Primary ATA Channel), is this correct as it is connected using an IDE cable?

Cheers

are you using sata hard drives? if your using IDE hard drives then one of them should be 0 on the primary IDE channel. you could try uninstalling the IDE channel the hard drive is on and rebooting windows will reinstall the IDE channel and the drive when it reboots just in case it is a windows file system glitch.

Yes i have 1 SATA hard drive installed this is set as the master, and currently have a IDE hard drive installed aswell, set as a slave. The DVD drive was working fine with this setup until the other day. Would it be worth update my Nvidia MOBO drivers?

Nvidia mobo drivers are the prime culprit of many optical drive problems. Most sites dedicated to burning issues recommend uninstalling the Nvidia mobo drivers and using the default MS drivers. this may not be your problem though. it could be that your drive is going bad. have you tried uninstalling the IDE chanel the drive is on yet?

Hi, I have tried the drive in another PC and its still has the same problem so I am certain that it’s faulty. But now I have put a replacement DVD drive in and my PC won't Boot properly and just loops after asking me to select a boot option (Safe mode etc) what should I do? Should I post this as a new problem? I am using a SATA hard drive, could I put this in my friends PC which is also SATA to fix any problems?

Thanks

You might try a Cleaner CD on the laser. It looks like a standard CD with a small brush fastened on the lower side to clean the laser head

you need to make sure that the Drive is properly jumpered. if you have a hard drive on the same cable the IDe needs to be master and the dvd slave. as far as the defective drive goes about the only thing I can think of as a last ditch attempt to recover it would be to see if there is any newer firmware for it and try and flash it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back