TechSpot

dvd drive

By dao5
Nov 12, 2003
  1. Any way to fix a dvd drive that has just stopped spinning. Its not anything to do with the drivers and the computer recognises the device is there and says its working properly. Will i have to take the drive out and bring it to get fixed???

2. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

It depends if the DVD is actually broken, the two most common faults that I have seen, are the lense being damaged, which can sometimes be swapped with one from a similar drive, or the small motor that spins the disc fails, either completely, or makes a rattling sound, that eventually gets worse.

If it is the motor, Find a scrap CD Drive / CD-RW / DVD and swap the stepper motor over. The only problem is undoing the screws, you need a VERY small screwdriver and lots of patience.

3. Greeno

Greeno TS Rookie Posts: 394

DVD's are about £20 (UK) now...why not replace it, should it be any of the above?

4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I agree with Greeno, I just bought one off of ebay in the US for 15 dollars and it works a charm. Not worth going through all that trouble just to get that one working again.

BTW :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

5. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

I would normally agree, but I have a stack of 10+ Optical Drives that do not work. :D :D :D

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.