dvd drive

By dao5
Nov 12, 2003
  1. Any way to fix a dvd drive that has just stopped spinning. Its not anything to do with the drivers and the computer recognises the device is there and says its working properly. Will i have to take the drive out and bring it to get fixed???
  2. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 664

It depends if the DVD is actually broken, the two most common faults that I have seen, are the lense being damaged, which can sometimes be swapped with one from a similar drive, or the small motor that spins the disc fails, either completely, or makes a rattling sound, that eventually gets worse.

If it is the motor, Find a scrap CD Drive / CD-RW / DVD and swap the stepper motor over. The only problem is undoing the screws, you need a VERY small screwdriver and lots of patience.
  3. Greeno

Greeno TS Rookie Posts: 281

DVD's are about £20 (UK) now...why not replace it, should it be any of the above?
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

I agree with Greeno, I just bought one off of ebay in the US for 15 dollars and it works a charm. Not worth going through all that trouble just to get that one working again.

BTW :wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:
  5. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 664

I would normally agree, but I have a stack of 10+ Optical Drives that do not work. :D :D :D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.