Dvd drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

trithumb

i just finished building my tower and i put the ide cables into the bak of the disk drive and i put the power wires into the bak as well....when i power the desktop it doesnt power the dvd drives... any ideas y this isnt working?

Did you set the jumpers on the back o the drives correctly?
You either need to set one as master and the other as slave or set them both to cable select.

Do you have any other devices that are powered by the molex plugs? My first guess is no and my second guess is your power supply needs replacing. Have your PSU tested at a computer shop, or borrow a friends working PSU and see if the drives power up

just as likely to be a dodgy dvd drive as a dodgy psu. Iif you only have 1 x rom drive, you should have loads of spare 4-pin molex connectors. Have you tried the other ones to see if its the drive or the psu?

i have 2 dvd drives and i have sum extra 4 pin connectors ill switch them out and see wat happens... thanks i gotta go 2 college now sooo ill b bak in about 8 hours

nah i got a good aptiva one... i found out wat the problem is i just need a solution.... i pulled the ide plug outa the bak n powered it on and they start up.... i tried a different ribbon cable and nothing still.... should i send newegg bak my mobo or should i just buy new SATA dvd drives

sounds like your ide controller or your cable could be dodgy. Try the other controller to see if that works, if it does then you DO have a faulty controller and i'd RMA the board back.

It's not likely that both drives are shot so you'll probably not need to send them back. It's more likely that your motherboard IDE controller is kaput or the drives are incompatible with each other or one of the drives is bad. First you might want to try detaching the slave drive and then booting your computer. If the master drive is detected then at least you know the IDE controller works. Power down your computer and disconnect the master drive and replace it with the slave drive. Don't forget to make the slave a master. Power up your computer. Again if your drive is detected then you know the IDE controller works and that the real problem is with a drive. Now attach the second drive on a different ribbon cable and power up your computer. If they quit working you know that the drives are incompatible.

its identical drives... and i had both drives on cable select and nothing they both power up fine with out the ribbon in the back... i tired i different ribbon and still nothing....i think its my ide controller

Have you tried setting then as master and slave? Some mobo's don't like cable select.

I don't know why people even mess with CS. Sure its 'supposed' to work. But really, anytime you have odd behavior when adding an IDE device the first step in troubleshooting is to eliminate the damn CS and force master and slave. Master and Slave remove any question of having them hooked up improperly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back