Dvd playback problems???

Status
Not open for further replies.

fimbles

Hi.

Im having trouble with my pc and its ability to behave lately.. for some strange reason it completely refuses to play original shop bought dvds that it has played fine in the past.

I get the following error message.

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

I have done as suggested and updated my catalyst drivers to the latest one.. still no luck. Could this be a freindly microsoft "update" or am i missing something obvious here..??

By the way.. copied dvds play fine.. also i know i could probably download another dvd software player, but im curious as hell to find out what has happened? im running xp home.

Ty in advance for any replies!

What version of WMP are you using? A simple upgrade to the next version is likely to fix it.

Will VLC play it?

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I was using media player 11.. which i downgraded to 10.. but still no luck.

This problem started about a month ago with no apparent cause..

V.L.C media player plays them fine... no problems what so ever.

Im just curious to what happened?

Try to re-upgrade to 11. I found this gem from microsoft here:
If you remove Windows Media Player 11 and the Windows Media Format 11 Runtime, and then encounter error C00D271D ("A problem has occurred in the Digital Rights Management component. Contact Microsoft product support."), you might be able to resolve the problem by installing the Windows Media Format 9.5 Runtime. For information about installing the Runtime, in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, see article 891122, "Update for Windows Media Digital Rights Management-enabled players."

You might not be able to roll back to a previous version of the Player if the hidden folder $NtUninstallwmp11$ is deleted from your computer. Some non-Microsoft programs (such as CCleaner) delete this folder in an attempt to remove unwanted files from your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back