DVD player not playing...codecs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sllewe

Ok so i went out and bought Episode 3, watch it on my POS Tv and eh its good. I really like watching it on my PC, great sound and great picture quality.

So i put in my DVD and start it up. Now note, this is the first time i have played a dvd since i had to do a reformat after a weird video card conflict. And it launches some built in DVD player, but i can not get it to work. All it shows are some stupid anti copying warnings, then the screen goes black. Now the first time, i heard audio in the blackness, but after that time i have heard nothing.

So i think, eh, its prob. just the crappy built in DVD player. So install interactual ( i use this on my other PC) and this is the message i get.

"This application has failed to start because ITIIMG3.DLL was not found. Re-installing the aplictaion may fix this problem"

Ok so now im mad. So i try Windows media player...same thin as first try, nothing except the FBI anti copying message.

So i know that you need DVD codecs, but does xp come with them? I havew searched google a bit, but all i have found were some sites that you had to pay to view the answer, which just pissed me off more.

What am i missing?

Sean

I think you are missing the codecs. Although it will play DVDs when you do have the codecs, I do not believe WMP comes with them. If you have free versions of PowerDVD or WinDVD that may have come with one of your optical drives or video card, that would supply the necessary codecs. That said, I believe you can find those codecs bundled free somewhere on the web.

grr

I will have to look for them...my Drive was OEM form newegg, so i got nothing but the box and a cable lol. I found a program called mplayerc, and i got it to play, but it was terribly choppy, and it looks like the windows media player out of 98...does any one know why that is happening? Im about to go beat up my brother to cool off a bit.

Sean

Edit: mailpup do you have a link to the free version of powerDVD or winDVD..i cant seem to find them..thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back