DVD Problems/Issue - Specific Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaintedWisdom

Hi,
First of all thanks for taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it and if someone finds a way to fix this I will be forever grateful *bow*

I always use Nero to burn all my CD's/DVD's be it Music or Data etc.
I never once had a problem burning anything and no DVD had ever done this to me.

So on to the issue:
I decided to backup "My Document" folder which I've done before by just selecting DVD-->Data etc, Add the folder and burn, and done.
However, after I deleted half of the stuff in my document folder I remember I had not tested the DVD (which I always do as a precaution), and I discovery somehow this DVD isn't working right.

-The moment I put in the DVD and the computer tries to read it I get major lag (slows down and freezes everything up).
-After canceling the reading (which takes about 1 minute) and I try to go manually(explore) the DVD it once again freezes for about 2 minutes.
-When finally in the "My Document" folder inside of my DVD, I can see all the content (as in all the folder) However, if I try to open any file inside of it it will just freeze and never open. (Ex: Click an image inside of the DVD which has the appropriate name and everything, but it will never display the image and just freeze up/lock up)

Note: I did nothing different when I burned this DVD, infact I try to burn another DVD the same day to see if my burner just died on me and that one worked fine, and so have the others since then... So the issue is isolated to this one DVD and my burner has been working fine with no issues. Furthermore, I also used the DVD from the same spindle.

Let me see what else can be useful info in helping me out.
I'm running Windows XP (Haven't tried opening the DVD on a Linux comp yet but will try later on).

Let me know if there is any other info I could provide to help me out.

I have my entire work folder in there with lots of organic synthesis and mechanisms which are really important to me. Also images of family trips and niece.

Thank you very much, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

Find a friend with a machine having two DVD's and try to copy this bad DVD in the friends machine.
If that doesn't work, you are likely dead in the water.
More importantly, I would run any of a number of file recovery programs to rescue what remains. Do not do anything else on that computer, because just about anything can cause the overwriting of more files. Remember that even over written files can still offer an opportunity to rescue most of the data in a file.
The recovery software can run from free to $49... so search on another machine.

raybay said:
Find a friend with a machine having two DVD's and try to copy this bad DVD in the friends machine.
If that doesn't work, you are likely dead in the water.
More importantly, I would run any of a number of file recovery programs to rescue what remains. Do not do anything else on that computer, because just about anything can cause the overwriting of more files. Remember that even over written files can still offer an opportunity to rescue most of the data in a file.
The recovery software can run from free to $49... so search on another machine.

Thanks for the quick response.
I was thinking about file/data recovery programs as well but didn't know which one to use. (which one you recommend?).
I will try your idea of having 2 DVD drives to burn from one to another.

However, a quick question. What do you mean "do not do anything else on that computer"? I haven't had a single problem/issue with my computer at all. Never crashed, or even get errors as I keep it up to date and scan for spywares and viruses daily. Furthermore, like I mentioned before I have burned many DVD's and CD on it since then and haven't had any problems either, it was just this one DVD.

Lastly, if all fails, are there any companies which can recover the files in my DVD? If so, does anyone know of a few?

Thank you very much.

I merely meant that you should do nothing that causes the computer to write to the hard drive, in the event you have to recover those files because you cannot access the files on the DVD.

Anything the computer writes to the hard drive were the old files were deleted, could wipe out any chance of recovering them later... Until that space is overwritten, you can recover the files even though they have been erased.

raybay said:
I merely meant that you should do nothing that causes the computer to write to the hard drive, in the event you have to recover those files because you cannot access the files on the DVD.

Anything the computer writes to the hard drive were the old files were deleted, could wipe out any chance of recovering them later... Until that space is overwritten, you can recover the files even though they have been erased.

Oh, I had no idea you were referring to that. When I said data/file recovery I was talking about trying to read the data in the DVD with a program like CDCheck (or using DVDDecrypter to try to make an ISO and then burn) but that failed as the DVD appears to be really corrupted/unreadable in certain parts (it read 42% without any problems and then it kept finding errors over and over so I had to stop the process).

Now what you mentioned sounds VERY interesting.
Do you know what programs could allow me to recovery data in my HD as in mydocument folder from before? I have no knowledge at all regarding how that can be done.

Thank you very much, I truly appreciate it.

There are 87 different programs out there which will rescue files that have been deleted. Some free. Some cheap. Some very expensive. I use the ones listed at www.majorgeeks.com with good success. A google search will probably tell you more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back