DVD-R not working in vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

swker98

Hi,

Just to let everyone know this is not my computer so i dont know exactly what has done to it or whatever.
This is the problem supposedly the dvd r that came with the computer ( hp a6219h) it has a dvd drive in it already but it wont work. We put antoher one in and when vista boots up it says found new hardware installing and then it says it failed to install new hardware. in deivce manager it has error 31 for both drives, the packging with the new sony drive says it should be plug and play which usually works but it doesnt for vista on here its vista home premium

if anyone has any idea on this because im stumped

one of the drives is sata ( the one that came with the comp) the new drive is ata

I would suggest doing that removing upper and lower filters
and also removing the actual drives from device manager

Then restarting

The upper/lower filters are automatically put back on restart

As a trial, move the jumpers on the back of the drives to Master (drive 1) and Slave (drive 2), then be sure your cables are reseated, and not crimped.
Optical drives are now the most failure prone part of most computers, so if one or the other DVD drive is more than six months old, and has been used a lot, suspect them first, by trying another drive.

thank you both for your suggestions, i don t think its a jumper problem because one is sata and one is ata and windows sees them anyways

i will try the upper and lower filter i just want to make sure i dont kill the windows install because its not my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back