DVD+R vs DVD-R?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there is much of a difference for compatibility / functionality.

The only real difference I know of is that a DVD-RW cannot burn a DVD+RW disc.. And vice versa.

For movies and such that will be played on a set-top DVD player, buy DVD-R's, they are the mst compatible. I personally have the TDK 8x DVD-RW, and 4x discs only take a few minutes to burn

I won't get it till Wednesday, but I only buy LiteOn drives because they are good drives. And I know that having a DVD-R and DVD+R drive is a good thing. It also burns CD's. For the price it is an excellent deal.

I have it... The 2500a that is. Good drive, good value.

On the CDR side of things, it seems to be pretty picky. It doesn't like cheap CDR Media, although I'm sure most are fine.

As far as DVD-Rs go.. I've burned about 50 with 4 different (low quality) brands, and it has worked perfectly.

Originally posted by stanger1982
oh yeah, do you like it so far? what is the actual burn time for a 4x dvd?

My experience has been it's about 14-15 minutes at 4X. This sounds like a long time but considering you've just burned the equivalent of 6 CDs, you're looking at a total burn time of 2:20 a CD; with the Lead In/Lead Out stuff included that's a pretty nice burn time. I have an 8X DVD burner but only have 4X media so I'm not sure how fast 8X will be, maybe 8-10 minutes total.

I've burned a full DVD on 8x media in just about 8 minutes. The hard part is definitely getting media that will burn at that speed.

A 4x DVD burner will burn a full dvd in about 15min

its really hard finding media that supports 8x as papa said

but heres what I did, and it works like a charm :D

buy a LiteOn 4x, then apply the 8x firmware, and BANG! You have a real 8x burner!! The 4x LiteOn models and the 8x models are exactly the same except for the sticker.. its the way they make them. The model I have, which I did this with, was a LiteOn 4x +/- dual format DVDRW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back