DVD-R vs DVD+R

EricSkyler

Hi, I'm not sure if this is an appropriate area to post this but I was wondering if there is any actual evidence of which discs are to be more reliable, DVD-R or DVD+R?

Thanks!

Not that I know of. Just avoid Memorex and you'll be alright. Personally, all I ever liked to buy was Sony DVD-R.

Thanks for the reply!

Yea I actually stopped buying Memorex a while back. Funny thing with them, I bought a 10 pack of DVD-R DL and only 1 out of 10 worked lol, but even the DVD-R's I won't buy anymore so now it's mainly Verbatim. I never really tried Sony before but maybe I'll try them out sometime.
Thanks again!

This is why forums are so fun. We are always full of people with different mileage and differences of opinion.

I switched from HP media to Memorex and have not had any issues with them. The only reason I switched from HP media was because of HP's optical drive mechanical inability to eject properly. I boycott HP's drive and media because of it. I might get one bad disk out of an entire 50 pack spindle, with HP or Memorex. I'm almost certain, if you are experiencing issues, it is not the media at fault.

Heh, I have had various DVD burners (powerbook g4, 2 mac minis, probably at least 5 IDE/PATA and 1 SATA) and I don't think I tried Memorex in all of them, but certainly at least 3 and had a failure rate much higher than with Sony. I used to burn literally hundreds of DVDs and with Sony 8x and 16x (later when 16x became available) DVD-R with a failure rate of about 1%.

Of course I could have just got a bad spindle or 2 of Memorex.

I never buy DVD+ because my Panasonic DVD recorder won't recognise them. DVD-R and DVD-RW are more widely compatible.

I just like to stick with the brand that is supposed to be the best but of course I have no real proof what is the best. People say Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are top brands, never tried Taiyo Yuden before though but I never had problems with Verbatim, well maybe one disc out of 100's of discs but I wouldn't really call that a problem lol.

Yea DVD-R are supposed to have better compatibility or something.

Back