TechSpot

DVD-R with 1 GB info but data is missing

By CarlosX
Nov 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I burned 1 GB of info in a DVD-R disc. Computer could read it perfectly and said 1 GB was recorded and 3 GB still free available for more data.
    Next day I tried to add more data, 0.5 GB in a folder. All was OK, I dragged folder to DVD and PC said it was doing the job, after 2 minutes said folder was ready to be burnt. But the previous folders did not appear. I quit burning and tried to check the information on DVD. right- clicked properties and PC says it has 1 GB of data burnt and 3 GB available. But if I try to read the information I had burnt before, nothing, no files or folders.
    May I still recover the 1.0 GB recorded first day? HOw?

2. ITLogicSystems

ITLogicSystems TS Enthusiast Posts: 106

When burning multiple sessions to a DVD-R disk, if the sessions are not left open or closed improperly, then it can "lose" data or make the entire disk worthless. As for recovering data from a DVD-R or any optical disk, for all intents & purposes it's a lost cause, it's not impossible, but it would cost out the wazoo and the likelihood of recovery is slim.
    As cheap as DVD-R disks are, don't burn multiple sessions, just burn once and be done with it.

Hope this helps, take care!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.