DVD reader/burner don't read DVD/CD

Hi for about 2 weeks ago i were going to burn a cd for my father with clonecd but it didnt work so i removed Clonecd from my pc but now my dvd dont read dvds or cds i've tried with other dvd player wiched worked for a few days then they stopped to read also. please help me! im in big need of the dvd reader

See if this might apply [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

i've tried alot of things such as deleting filters, uninstalling device in device manager and tried windows mats run dvd and alot of other things that i've found on the internet but non helped please help me. i even reinstalled my computer but that didnt work either :S

I would check your event log, see if any errors are coming up that might be indicative of a problem. You can do this by opening the "run" box and typing in eventvwr.

Are these drives SATA or PATA? If PATA then it's not uncommon for a IDE cable to go bad and cause functionality errors with CD drives.

what computer do you have? -I know that some laptops have a bad dvd drive from the beginning that maybe works for a while and then suddenly just stops working...Fujitsu Siemens laptops is the brand that I have heard the most about...the faulty dvd drives manufacturer is usualy pioneer

I'm pretty sure this is a desktop since he was saying that he tried another drive with it. There are plenty of ways for disk drives to stop working, whether becoming misaligned or burnt out laser, but since both don't work it's probably either a bad cable or something software related.

...why assume it's desktop(?), laptops dvd drivers are much easier to change...but anyway u'r right / I see u'r point...but I don't think it's software related when an other drive works. If it's a IDE drive then it could be the Master / Slave selection that's wrong..?

if it's a desktop why not test the not working drive in an other computer.

its a custom build computer so its a Desktop. its a sata Dvd and it cant be the laser i have even tried my sisters dvd reader and it does the same on my computer and works fine on hers. ive tried to change the sata cable and tried with 3 different cables and tried other sata ports.
i can see the Dvd Reader in device manager and ive tried to reinstall it but it didnt work.
reinstalled it manualy but no change.

Back