DVD resets to PIO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
I have a little problem with my dvd burner, the thing is it was working fine for some time but a few days ago i tried to copy a dvd image with nero, after that the burner started to be very slow, it seams that it switches itself to PIO from DMA, there is no problem in changing back to DMA but everytime i put a CD or DVD in it resets back to PIO. Since its a shuttle im using the optical drive was its own cable.
i´ve tried using a different bus cable and about 7 different brands of cd/dvd discs, but its still the same result.
Its a Sony DW-Q28A dvd rw
running on shuttle sn95g athlon64, win xp.
Nero i used is premium 7
i even tried with a HP dvd writer and that had the same problem
:(
Thanx for your time

In Device Manager uninstall the IDE controller (that's connected to the optical drive in question) under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, restart and let Windows to reinstall the device.

XP sets an optical device to PIO every time 5(?) consecutive errors occur. I'm not aware of a registry setting or any GUI options which change this behavior.

Of course, since your DVD drive may be having errors, its a possible sign there's something else wrong.

mailpup said:
In Device Manager uninstall the IDE controller (that's connected to the optical drive in question) under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, restart and let Windows to reinstall the device.

I dont think i can the hard drive is on the same controller (hd as as primary), so it looks like its one IDE ATA controller eaven though its 2 different slots on the main board :/
is there any changes i have to do in bios?

Rick said:
XP sets an optical device to PIO every time 5(?) consecutive errors occur. I'm not aware of a registry setting or any GUI options which change this behavior.

Of course, since your DVD drive may be having errors, its a possible sign there's something else wrong.

well i tried replacing the Sony with a (borrowed)HP writer and got the same problem after a while, but the hp now works fine when retuned to its originall computer so i hope its not the drives fault

Kacper said:
I dont think i can the hard drive is on the same controller (hd as as primary), so it looks like its one IDE ATA controller eaven though its 2 different slots on the main board :/
is there any changes i have to do in bios?

it will only change during reboot so go ahead and uninstall it and reboot. everthing should work fine.

Yes, you can "uninstall" the HD controller no problem. Windows will boot.

Try putting the DVD drive on the primary IDE channel (make it share with HD).

First af all id like to thank you all for tips and support
this is what ive done,
reinstalld IDE controllers
Put the dvd on the same IDE as hd, after that it didint reconise that it had a hard drive so instead i switched and connected the "optical drive" IDE to hard drive and vice versa, now the dvd is as primary
and i used the resetdma.vbs to set both to DMA
The result:
its now possible to read/write cd's
burn dvd's +/-
but as soon as i try to read a dvd it jumpes back to PIO
this is really frustrating as moast of my backup is on dvd's
may this be a hardware problem?
thanks once again

That suggests that whatever DVD you are using may have errors on it. If you're using different DVDs and have the same problems, then your DVD drive is most likely failing.

Burning DVDs requires two lasers or a single laser with two intensities, one for reading (short, low power) and one for writing (long, high powered). It's very possible that your write laser works, but your read laser does not.

You should take it back (if you can) and get another drive.

Thanks again for all your help, ill have to guess that there is something wrong with the drive, dont think i can send it back since i dont have the papers left :( but its not the end of the world since dvd readers are pretty cheap now days. at least burning laser (or what it now could be) still works :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back