DVD Rom Drive Wont Appear

Status
Not open for further replies.

underground185

Ok, so I just installed my Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom Drive on my Windows 2000 Computer. I have installed everything and It appears in my Device Manager list. So I know Its installed. The only problem is I cant see it in the "My Computer" section and when I put disks in they dont open. Im positive that its connected, but I need help. Thanks, a new member.

How many optical drives do you have installed? Make sure they are set as master and slave. One drive master and one slave. Do not plug in optical drives on the same cable as your hard drive. Do not plug optical drives in to IDE 1, that is reserved for the hard drive. Hope this helped.

U can install an optical drive and a hard drive on the same cable, i have 3 hdd's and a cd rom in my pc with no problems at all. It is however advisable not to put them on the same cable if u have a choice, as it can slow the hdd down.
Are u using an ata (80way) cable?
If so u will need to get master on the end plug and slave on the inner one or cable select on both devices.
Also, i had the secondry die on an old pc ages ago, and i ran a hdd and a cdrom off ide1 with no problems at all.

rik said:
U can install an optical drive and a hard drive on the same cable, i have 3 hdd's and a cd rom in my pc with no problems at all. It is however advisable not to put them on the same cable if u have a choice, as it can slow the hdd down.
Are u using an ata (80way) cable?
If so u will need to get master on the end plug and slave on the inner one or cable select on both devices.
Also, i had the secondry die on an old pc ages ago, and i ran a hdd and a cdrom off ide1 with no problems at all.

I diden't say that it would not work, I only suggested this configuration to determine if a problem exists with read/write data transfer. But you are right, an optical drive will function while attached to the same cable as the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back