TechSpot

Dvd Rom will not power up with ide plugged

By liptudakriso
Feb 21, 2008
  1. I just bought a new barbone kit and as a first time comp builder,

Intel D945GCPE Socket 775 Barebone Kit - Ultra Micro Fly BX6 Black Aluminum MicroATX Case, Clear Sides, 600 Watt XVS Power Supply

Mother Board Features
    Features include dual-channel DDR2 667/533 MHz SDRAM, Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (Intel® GMA 950), integrated 10/100 Network Connection, Intel® High Definition Audio (4 channel audio) and up to eight USB 2.0 ports.

- Chipset: Intel 945GC Express
    - Front Side Bus: 533/800/1066MHz
    - Processor Interface: Socket 775

I tried putting this together. I have a 6 pin male plug from the power source and the larger plug that I placed into the motherboard. The motherboard only has a 4 pin right next to the processor. I did not plugg that in. I proceeded to plug in my sata hard drive and put in my processor and fan. I than connect my usb, audio and firewire plugs. I plugg in the power to power source and to the dvd burner. I plug in the led, power, reset and all that. The problem lies with the dvd drive. I plug in the ide and there is no power. I unplug the ide leaving the power and the light comes on and it ejects just fine. Plug back and now no power to drive. Please help I dont know if the 6 pin power source not plugged to the 4 pin motherboard could be the problem or what. What can I do?

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Is your DVD drive a SATA drive? It appears as if you are trying to install an ATAPI, IDE, or EIDE optical drive... An EIDE or ATAPI drive uses an EIDE flat cable, and a four hole socket from the power supply...
    Also, how do you have it jumpered...

3. liptudakriso

liptudakriso TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for the prompt response

Dvd drive is not sata, my hard drive is though. I have the eide flat cord with the blue side plugged to board and the primary which is the other end of the cable is plugged to dvd drive. I have changed settings on dvd drive from master to cable select as well and nothing works. The power source I got with the kit only has a six hole and the board has four. I left the six pin unplugged, and the larger twelve plugged. Jumpered? Please explain.

4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,268   +92

If you're talking about the P4 connecter you can get an adapter.

5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,980   +362

If I understand correctly, here is my take. You will need to plug in the 4 pin connector on the motherboard for the processor to get enough power to run. I think the processor's lack of sufficient power is causing the optical drive not to work. But regardless if I am right or wrong about the cause of the optical drive not working, you still need to connect the 12V 2x2 socket to a power source.

It is a rare power supply that doesn't have the 2x2 12V connector, especially if it came with the bare bones kit. Take a closer look at the 6 pin connector from the power supply and see if it is the type that comes apart so you can remove two of the six pins to get your 4 pin connector. If not, you'll have to find an adapter to power to the 4 pin connector on the motherboard.

Edit: Zenosincks posted while I as still writing my post. That is the adapter I was talking about.

6. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

7. liptudakriso

liptudakriso TS Rookie Topic Starter

I am soo dumb the pin breaks off and I plugged the four into the board and wala everything works. Thanks very much!

8. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Thanks for the update.
    You are another step closer to becoming a technician on TechSpot

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.