TechSpot

Dvd room drive being recognized as a usb mass storage device

By osmany
Feb 12, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi there,
    Could someone please tell me why is the HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4244 drive on a Dell Latitude D500 being recognized by the system as a usb mass storage device?...and how to fix that in case it is not normal?
    Thanks in advance,
    osmany
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Disconnect the drive and tell us what the computer then reports. Your HLDS optical drive is among the most basic of all drives installed by Dell, but it has an extremely high failure rate.
  3. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

after re-connecting drive
    what does it report
    if still not right remove OPD uninstall drivers shut down system
    put OPD back in reboot should find new device and install drivers
    make sure you have the drivers for the laptop and or the windows install disc
  4. osmany

osmany TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

Hi guys, thank you for the previous suggestions, but I have decided to put that issue aside and deal with a more serious one that I have also been experiencing, (since I can anyway use the CD/RW-DVD to play and burn dics). The other issue is that it seems that either the "Windows" key or the "CTRL" key on the keyboard sometimes gets stuck because when I type the letter "d" it minimizes the window, typing the letter "r" opens the "run" dialogue box, also I can't use some of the number keys (1,2,3,4,7,8,9,0...by-the-way I'm typing this text on another PC). Can you please tell me how to deal with that?. OR should I post that as a new threat?
  5. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Likely a bad keyboard. Keyboards are free at surplus outlets, or very low priced elsewhere. Replace it and see what happens.
  6. osmany

osmany TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 33

What about some keyboard-cleanning suggestions?
  7. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

turn it upside down and drop it against a flat service
    not on the keys but the four corners
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.