Dvd room drive being recognized as a usb mass storage device

Status
Not open for further replies.

osmany

Hi there,
Could someone please tell me why is the HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4244 drive on a Dell Latitude D500 being recognized by the system as a usb mass storage device?...and how to fix that in case it is not normal?
Thanks in advance,
osmany

Disconnect the drive and tell us what the computer then reports. Your HLDS optical drive is among the most basic of all drives installed by Dell, but it has an extremely high failure rate.

after re-connecting drive
what does it report
if still not right remove OPD uninstall drivers shut down system
put OPD back in reboot should find new device and install drivers
make sure you have the drivers for the laptop and or the windows install disc

Hi guys, thank you for the previous suggestions, but I have decided to put that issue aside and deal with a more serious one that I have also been experiencing, (since I can anyway use the CD/RW-DVD to play and burn dics). The other issue is that it seems that either the "Windows" key or the "CTRL" key on the keyboard sometimes gets stuck because when I type the letter "d" it minimizes the window, typing the letter "r" opens the "run" dialogue box, also I can't use some of the number keys (1,2,3,4,7,8,9,0...by-the-way I'm typing this text on another PC). Can you please tell me how to deal with that?. OR should I post that as a new threat?

Likely a bad keyboard. Keyboards are free at surplus outlets, or very low priced elsewhere. Replace it and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back